Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Lincoln 0-0 Wycombe

Read the report from Sincil Bank.

17 April 2018

It was honours even at Sincil Bank as Wycombe and Lincoln played out a pulsati 0-0 draw.

Gareth Ainsworth made four changes to his starting XI for this one, with Sam Saunders and Matt Bloomfield replacing Luke O’Nien and Dominic Gape who missed out through illness. The boss also elected for experience in his front-three; bringing in Craig Mackail-Smith and Nathan Tyson to partner Adebayo Akinfenwa up top.

It was a very direct start from both sides under breezy conditions at Sincil Bank. Matt Rhead was penalised for an early foul on Joe Jacobson as he flicked on for Harry Anderson to poke into the net, though the whistle had already gone at that time.

10 minutes gone and it was nearly a goal straight from a corner for the Chairboys as Joe Jacobson’s corner almost swung in with Adam El-Abd challenging at the back stick before going narrowly wide.

Lincoln went close on 18 minutes as Anderson drilled wide of the far post after Rhead flicked it on to the forward in space on the left-hand side of the box.

Good play from Mackail-Smith saw him beat his man to the ball down the left on 22’, drive into the box, but was narrowly closed out. Then up the other end it was almost a spectacular own goal as JJ slid in well to get to the ball, but he looped it towards his own net and it sailed just over.

The resulting corner for the Imps was played to the back post and was bundled towards goal and diverted onto the top of the bar in a slightly nervy moment at the back for Wanderers.

As Akinfenwa received treatment for a knock, 10-man Wanderers tested the reflexes of Ryan Allsop as Bloomfield sent in a low drive from a tight angle after being played in by Tyson on 31 minutes. The Beast was unable to continue though and was replaced by Randell Williams.

But for some superb reflexes from Allsop Wanderers would have taken the lead on 37 minutes as Scott Wharton diverted Jacobson’s low cross towards the bottom corner. Luckily for the defender the City keeper was alert and got down well to stop.

Jacobson then threw one into the box which found Tyson on 39’ but his header was saved comfortably this time by Allsop.

Two minutes later a Lincoln free-kick was played in deep to Luke Waterfall unmarked, but he could only sky his effort from close-range.

With five additional minutes added on Lincoln had the ball in the net again as Rhead headed in at the back post, but he had two hands on Jacobson and it was ruled out for a foul to ensure the scores were level at the break.

Half-time: Lincoln 0-1 Wycombe

The half was barely two minutes old when El-Abd joined Tyson in the book, who had seen yellow in the first-half, for pulling back his man.

52 minutes gone and Wanderers had a decent opening as Harriman broke from the back. The full-back carried the ball to the edge of the box, shot low which Allsop parried. Williams reacted quickest but Lincoln managed to get it away.

Wycombe were pressing well looking to capitalise on any errors and Saunders did just that on 57 minutes after a poor clearance. The ball found its way to Williams on the edge but his shot sailed over the top.

63 minutes gone and a Neal Eardley slip following a Saunders clearance from a corner almost let in Bloomfield one-on-one, but the right-back recovered just in the nick of the time.

The Chairboys made their second change on 65 minutes as Paris Cowan-Hall replaced Mackail-Smith as Ainsworth looked to introduce some fresh legs in the final-third.

Three minutes later and it was so almost a stunner from Tyson 25-yards out on the turn, bringing out a spectacular save from Allsop as the ball looked destined for the top corner.

Lincoln made their first switch on 72 minutes as the pantomime villain Rhead was replaced by Ollie Palmer.

A ball down the channel found Tyson who crossed first time to Cowan-Hall. The forward created an opening for Bloomfield, but his low cross was cut out with 15 minutes left to play.

There was a yellow card for Marcus Bean for a foul from behind 25-yards out from Wycombe’s goal. Luckily the Imps made a mess of the free-kick which was in a dangerous area of the pitch with time running out.

81 minutes on the clock and Jacobson’s corner landed in a great area but it was behind everyone. Williams recovered it and found Saunders on the edge but he shot over.

Six minutes of normal time to go and Wycombe had a great chance to win it as Saunders' corner landed for Williams. The Watford loanee turned it goalwards which found Tyson who shot on the turn and was denied by the legs of Allsop on the line.

Eyeing three points Lincoln made their second switch with five to go as Elliott Whitehouse replaced Lee Frecklington.

A late sub for Wycombe saw Saunders replaced by Thompson and the Chairboys dug in to claim a battling point in a tough game.

Attendance: 8,948 (393 Wycombe)

Advertisement block