Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Colchester United 1-2 Wycombe

Read the report from the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

23 September 2017

Wycombe continued their fine away form with a 2-1 victory at Colchester United.

Nathan Tyson bagged his first goal for Wycombe since 2005 to give the Chairboys the lead, before Brandon Hanlan pegged them back before the half.

The hard-working Craig Mackail-Smith played a big part in the opening goal and it was his strike that won it, firing home from close range after Dan Scarr's header hit the bar, sealing his status amongst Chairboys heroes for scoring a winning goal against old foes Colchester.

Gareth Ainsworth made three changes for this one with Dan Scarr, Ebere Eze and Nathan Tyson replacing Adam El-Abd, and the injured Matt Bloomfield and Dominic Gape in the starting XI.

The first opportunity of the game went to the hosts as Scott Brown had to be called upon on 10 minutes as Sammie Szmodics danced past a tackle, into the area and forced the Wanderers keeper into making a smart stop with his legs.

It was a slow start to the game in terms of chances, but Wycombe were there when the U's asked questions as Marcus Bean blocked a Doug Loft effort from inside the box on 17'.

A few minutes later, a Colchester corner was whipped in by Loft which found Crystal Palace loanee Ryan Inniss at the back post - who headed down back across goal which Brown stopped and held.

The Chairboys responded with both Akinfenwa and Craig Mackail-Smith seeing sights of goal. Bayo chested one down and struck wide, as CMS saw his strike blocked in the box on 25 minutes.

The pair combined for the best opening of the game so far 90 seconds later. Akinfewna shrugged off the challenge of Inniss, laid it off to Mackail-Smith who struck it wide as he went for the far-corner from 8-yards out.

Wycombe were starting to find their rhythm as Eze picked out Mackail-Smith, from just inside the half. It was a race to get to the ball between keeper Sam Walker and the Wanderers forward, with the former just pipping the latter to it to clear for a throw.

Mackail-Smith was doing everything but score, and it was his ferocious shot from 20-yards lead to the first goal of the game. CMS found space and let one fly which Walker could only palm into the path of Tyson who nodded in his first goal since his return to the Chairboys on 32 minutes.

Col U looked for a quick response and Brown continued his heroics with a superb stop to tip over a Szmodics drive from the edge. Goalscorer Tyson then showed his defensive prowess with a well-timed tackle to stop the advancing Drey Wright in the area.

The U's would have their leveller on 43 minutes. A lapse in concentration saw Wright set up Hanlan, and with the flag staying down the frontman smacked it in off the crossbar.

Hanlan would go through again just before the half, but Brown came out well to close down the angle and Scarr cleaned up the danger, before referee Brett Huxtable pulled it back for a foul by Stewart after a long advantage which Loft would smash into the wall.

Half-time: Colchester United 1-1 Wycombe Wanderers

Both sides came out unchanged for the restart and it was Wycombe who would come quickest out the blocks. Luke O'Nien did well to get the by-line before playing a low cross to Eze who saw his effort denied as Kane Vincent-Young flew across to block.

The flag was raised as Mackail-Smith turned and smashed one goalwards which Walker saved, before O'Nien put one wide from 25-yards all inside the opening five minutes of the second half.

Wanderers continued to press as Akinfenwa chested down Jacobson's free kick from halfway and Mackail-Smith hit wide on the half volley on the edge.

Bean went into the book on the hour-mark as he brought down Hanlan on the edge. Loft would see his resulting set-piece deflected over.

The resulting corner was half-cleared and Frankie Kent crossed to the back post finding the towering Inniss who headed back across goal, beating Brown but not Jacobson who hooked it off the line.

The Chairboys would be all the more thankful for that stop a couple of minutes later as they retook the lead on 67 minutes.

Jacobson whipped in a free kick from the edge of the box on the right which was met by the head of Scarr. It cannoned off the post and Mackail-Smith was there to bury his first goal for the club - and boy what is it deserved for CMS!

At the other end, Brown produced two magnificent stops to keep Wycombe ahead - the first coming from Hanlan on the spin in the box and then a Wright pile-driver on the edge on 72 minutes.

Ainsworth made his first switch on 73' as Sam Saunders came on for Eze as Wycombe looked to see this one out. 

A brilliant counter-attack almost doubled the Chairboys' advantage as Jacobson won the ball with a well-timed tackle down the left before setting off Tyson with a ball down the line. The forward powered his way down the wing before crossing to Akinfenwa, who saw his first-time shot blocked by the feet of Walker with 15 left to play.

Colchester looked to pile on the pressure as the clock ticked down. Substitute Kyel Reid drilled one wide of the far-post when he should have perhaps done better on 80 minutes.

Mackail-Smith went off to a standing ovation as he was replaced by Nick Freeman as Gareth looked to add some fresh legs into the equation.

It was all U's in the closing exchanges but Wanderers pressed well and minimalised their threat in front of goal to see this one over the line.

Attendance: 3,562 (537 Wycombe)

Advertisement block