Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

Flashback: 2016 - Late Pierre strike seals 2-1 win at Cambridge

Read the report from our last trip to the Cambs Glass Stadium.

4 October 2017

Ahead of this weekend's game at Cambridge, we took a look at our last visit to the Cambs Glass Stadium.

Aaron Pierre's last-gasp thunderbolt secured a first away league win in nine months on a dramatic afternoon at the home of the U's in November 2016. 

The Chairboys flew into an early lead after Pierre was brought down by Mark Roberts from Matt Bloomfield's flick on after Will Norris' flapped from the corner. Paul Hayes stepped up and duly coverted Wanderers' first penalty since March of that year in the sixth minute of the game.

Cambridge responded and were looking neat in possession but without the killer instinct to break down a resolute Wanderers defence.

Play was halted in the late stages of the first half as Josh Coulson went off injured after Paris Cowan-Hall slid in to try and prevent a goal kick, though the lengthy period of stoppage time didn't stop the Chairboys from protecting their lead going into the break after a 45 of few chances.

Cambridge attempted a change of fortunes by making a switch for the beginning of the second period with Uche Ikpeazu on for Piero Mingoia.

Within six minutes, Ikpeazu was already making an impact - getting past Pierre, drilling goalwards which Chelsea loanee keeper, Jamal Blackman parried but the rebound was fired wide.

Blackman was called upon again in the 55th minute as Roberts flew in with a diving header to meet a cross but the keeper stuck out a big hand to tip it away.

The home side continued to knock at the door as Luke Berry curled a free kick just over the bar with 20 left to play.

Blackman was at it again on 72 minutes, beating away Blair Adams' drive before leaping on the loose ball.

As the clock ticked down, Wanderers had chances to kill the game off as Pierre, Luke O'Nien and sub Garry Thompson hit wide.

They were made to pay for that with just three minutes of normal time remaining as Ikpeazu spun, shot, hitting the post before George Maris bundled home.

Four minutes were held up on the board by the fourth official and the home crowd were roaring for the U's to grab a winner, but it would be the 437 Chairboys fans in attendance that would experience late delight.

A late corner was whipped in by Joe Jacobson, which Brad Halliday nodded away at the near post. The ball fell to Pierre who smashed into the roof of the net to send all of a Chairboys persuassion into a sense of delirium - after a manequin challenge style celebration of course!

Wycombe would go on to win all of their next six games, embarking on an unbeaten run of 16 games which had begun the week previously after a home win over Morecambe.

Wycombe: Blackman, Harriman, Stewart, Pierre, Jacobson, Gape, O'Nien, Bloomfield, Hayes (Wood 66), Akinfenwa, Cowan-Hall (Thompson 74).

Subs not used: Brown, Jombati, Bean, De Havilland, Kashket.

Cambridge: Norris, Halliday, Roberts, Coulson (Legge 45+1),  Adams, Mingoia (Ikpeazu 46), Newton, Berry, Clark, Maris, Williamson.

Subs not used: Taylor, Gregory, Long, Dallison-Lisbon, Pigott.

Attendance: 4,139 (437 Wycombe).

Follow your Chairboys at Cambridge this Saturday - click here for ticket

Advertisement block