Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

Flashback: 2014 - Chairboys hit the League Two summit with victory at Morecambe

9 November 2017

Ahead of this weekend's visit to the Globe Arena, we take a look back at another memorable visit to Morecambe in October 2014.

Wanderers went top of Sky Bet League Two with a brilliant 3-1 success against Morecambe at the Globe Arena.

Sam Wood opened the scoring with a cracking volley from 40 yards and the Blues were 2-0 up inside the first 15 minutes when Paul Hayes tapped home a rebound after Alfie Mawson's header was blocked.

An injury to Aaron Pierre jeopardised the result and the hosts fought back into the game with Andy Fleming's header, but after Jamie Devitt was sent off, Joe Jacobson wrapped up the points with a stunning free-kick.

Gareth Ainsworth made one change to his starting line-up from the side that drew 1-1 against Northampton Town the previous weekend, with Max Kretzschmar replacing Matt McClure, who dropped to the bench.

It was the hosts who had the first sight of goal when Jack Redshaw stayed on side to race clear in the opening five minutes, only for Joe Jacobson to make a superb recovering challenge to prevent the striker from getting his shot away.

Wycombe had threatened with a couple of teasing low crosses but their first effort on target brought about the opening goal – and what a goal it was. Sam Wood advanced onto a loose ball inside the Morecambe half and sent a stunning volley over the keeper from 40 yards, marking his 100th appearance for the club with a strike which matched the quality of the goal in his very first game against York City.

Paul Hayes then had a sight of goal when he received a low pass into the box and nudged it goalwards with the outside of his right boot, but saw the ball ripple the wrong side of the side netting.

However, he didn’t have to wait long for his goal, which also came on a special milestone as he played his 500th career appearance. Alfie Mawson’s header from Joe Jacobson’s corner was blocked on the line but Hayes was on hand to stab home to double the lead.

Morecambe were rattled and struggled to contain the Blues, who attacked with pace and carved open further opportunities without being able to trouble home keeper Barry Roche.

And momentum then swung in the Shrimps’ favour when Aaron Pierre was forced off with a head injury on 39 minutes, prompting the Chairboys’ first defensive reshuffle of the season as Josh Scowen moved to right-back with Sido Jombati stepping in at centre-half.

Wycombe seemed desperate to get to half-time with their two-goal lead intact but were dealt a blow when Jamie Devitt beat his man and clipped in a perfect cross for Andy Fleming to glance a header home and halve the deficit.

The goal gave the hosts real hope of turning the game around but Devitt turned from hero to villain soon after the interval when he lashed out at Peter Murphy during an altercation, giving the referee no option but to brandish the red card.

His dismissal took the sting out of Morecambe’s game and allowed Wycombe to control the play, with the back four remaining resilient while the front six probed for openings to put the game to bed.

Max Kretzschmar stung the palms of Barry Roche before firing wide in a 1-on-1 situation, while at the other end, Paul Mullin drilled over after creating space for himself in the area.

However, the match was settled when Joe Jacobson’s smashed home his first goal for the club with an exquisite free-kick from 30 yards, which clipped the wall and nestled in the top corner.

It virtually signalled the end of the contest and the visitors held on comfortably for yet another impressive away success, extending the unbeaten run to nine games and cementing an 11th consecutive match without defeat against Morecambe.

Morecambe:Devitt, Fleming, Mullin, Beeley, Kenyon (McCready 79), Goodall, Parrish, Redshaw (Amond 76), Roche, Ellison (Sampson 82), Hughes

Subs not used: Williams, Edwards, McGowan, Arestidou

Wycombe: Pierre (Bloomfield 42), Jombati, Cowan-Hall (Holloway 89), Murphy, Scowen, Wood, Mawson, Hayes (Craig 79), Jacobson, Kretzschmar, Ingram

Subs not used: Walker, Richardson, McClure

Attendance: 1,710

Referee: Phil Gibbs

Click here for ticket information for Wanderers' trip to Morecambe this Saturday (11/11, 3pm k.o.).

Advertisement block