Wycombe Wanderers Sports & Education Trust, in partnership with High Wycombe based company Toolshed, are excited to announce that in January 2018 a combined group of 14 representatives from both organisations will be travelling to The Gambia, a small West African country, on a charitable expedition.
WWSET, the charitable arm of the football club, and Toolshed, who offer construction-related training and qualifications as well as personal development coaching to local 16-24-year-olds who are not in employment, education or training, hope to achieve numerous positive outcomes from the trip:
- Provide sports participation and coaching opportunities to local Gambian people in school and community settings;
- Provide construction expertise and labour to build a small stand/seating area at Kololi Football Academy;
- Donate football kit and equipment to the local community that will facilitate sports participation opportunities;
- Donate tools and building/maintenance equipment to the local community that will facilitate their ability to carry out construction based works;
- Generate funds to allow WWSET to deliver a sports & employability programme for High Wycombe based refugees and/or asylum seekers;
- Generate funds to enable Toolshed to offer free home improvement services to High Wycombe groups and individuals who are most in need of support.
Lots of the work planned to take place during the trip will be undertaken in partnership with the Mojo Foundation, a not-for-profit construction company based in the Gambia, who, like Toolshed, are managed by New Meaning, a UK based social enterprise organisation.
The trip to The Gambia has also captured the interest of highly acclaimed and BAFTA nominee film producer Lex Beckett (Squashed Robot Films) who will be travelling with the group to make a documentary of everything that happens.
In the run up to the trip both the WWSET and Toolshed representatives will be undertaking joint fundraising initiatives to generate money to cover the travel costs, and are already in training to complete a mammoth 100km sponsored walk in early September.
In order to learn more about the trip and those involved please see the links below:
Downloadable Gambia Brochure: The Gambia Brochure
Dedicated Fundraising Page: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fund/Gambia
Wycombe Wanderers Sports & Education Trust: http://www.wwset.co.uk/
New Meaning & Mojo Foundation: https://www.newmeaning.co.uk/
Please also note that a corporate sponsor for the trip is currently being sought. If you would like to find out more about the potential benefits of sponsoring the trip please contact Paul Foley via email: email@example.com.