Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Maidenhead 1-0 Wycombe

Final pre-season game ends in defeat for the Chairboys.

28 July 2017

Wycombe's final pre-season game before the 2017/18 season ended in a narrow 1-0 defeat at Maidenhead United.

In difficult conditions, the well-contested fixture looked to be heading for a draw before United bundled home from a corner with just over 10 minutes left to play to hand Wanderers their first and only defeat of the pre-season schedule.

It was a quiet start to the game on a wet and breezy night at York Road, with the long grass slowing down play too. The first chance went to the hosts on 14 minutes as Harry Pritchard's free-kick hit the wall & Ryan Upward's follow-up went upward & out of the ground.

Nathan Tyson, playing his second game after signing a one-year deal with the club, wriggled into the box smartly on 23 minutes but his shot deflected to safety.

The best chance in a half lacking in clear cut chances went to Sido Jombati with 10 left to play, as his header from a corner was smartly stopped by Carl Pentney in the Maidenhead goal.

Half-time: Maidenhead 0-0 Wycombe

Adebayo Akinfenwa replaced trialist Jack Williams at the break as Wycombe changed their set-up in the second period.

The Chairboys went close within three minutes of the restart as Sam Saunders sent a curling effort just over the crossbar.

Wycombe then had to be alert at the other end as Scott Brown and Michael Harriman blocked goalbound shots before Upward hooked wide from close range.

Pentney continued his impressive display by making two good saves just past the hour-mark as Bloomfield turned Akinfenwa's knock-down goalwards & touching a Southwell header behind for a corner. From the resulting set-piece, Jombati's glancing header was cleared off the line.

The United stopper was called upon again on 70 minutes and he had to be at full stretch to tip a goalbound Akinfenwa header wide from a Harriman cross.

With time ticking on, Ainsworth sent on fresh legs on a heavy pitch which felt like it was staging a cup-tie like affair, and sure enough it would be the National League side would snatch the win with just over 10 minutes of the game remaining.

An in-swinging corner from sub Sam Barratt in the 79th minute was met with some battling in the box. The ball fell loose, and although it was unclear who got the decisive touch, the ball was scrambled into the net.

Despite some late pressure in reply, there was to be no late equaliser with Wycombe leaving York Road having exprienced a good test ahead of the big kick-off vs Lincoln at Adams Park in a week's time.

Wycombe: Brown, Harriman, Williams (Akinfenwa 45'), Jombati (Muller 76'), El-Abd, Jacobson, Gape (Rowe 70'), Saunders (O'Nien 56'), Bloomfield, Tyson (Hayes 70'), Southwell (Freeman 76').

Subs not used: Trialist-GK

Maidenhead: Pentney, Clerima, Kilman (Hammond, 76), Massey (Inman, 45), Goodman (Mckenzie, 76), Odametey (Mulley, 76), Pritchard (Barratt, 64), Upward (Trialist, 64), Comley (Smith, 64), Clifton (Tarpey, 61), Hyde (Marks, 61).

Advertisement block