Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Slough 0-0 Wycombe

Opening pre-season friendly ends goalless at Arbour Park.

8 July 2017

Wanderers' first pre-season friendly ended in a 0-0 draw after Slough Town keeper Jack Turner made a series of fine saves to keep the Blues at bay.

Wycombe's trialist left-back had an audacious goal from the halfway line chalked off early on after the referee's whistle had already sounded for a free-kick, while Danny Rowe saw two shots blocked in quick succession and a trialist winger had another effort beaten away.

After the break, Dayle Southwell and Paris Cowan-Hall threatened to find a breakthrough but they found themselves denied, while Paul Hayes and the winger again came close to a late winner.

Gareth Ainsworth handed trials to four players during the game, including former Wycombe striker Nathan Tyson, while Matt Bloomfield , Adam El-Abd and Scott Kashket were kept sidelined as an injury precaution on the 3G surface, and Adebayo Akinfenwa has just returned from a pre-agreed extended summer break.

Wanderers thought they’d taken the lead in the sixth minute when the trialist left-back let fly from just inside the Rebels’ half, but he was clattered in the process prompting the referee to blow his whistle as the ball soared over the keeper’s head and into the net.

Sam Saunders then had a shot deflected over and Anthony Stewart headed straight at the keeper from the resulting corner, and the left-back went close when his shot skidded past the far post.

Slough rarely threatened but chances also dried up for the visitors, although Danny Rowe was twice denied by blocks from the keeper before Nathan Tyson headed tamely at the Rebels’ no.1.

The trialist winger forced a save after a terrific first touch which took him beyond the full-back, but the half ended goalless before Gareth Ainsworth introduced a number of subs at the break.

The changes gave the visitors extra impetus going forward, with Dayle Southwell at the heart of many attacks, while the trialist winger tested the keeper just before the hour-mark with a low shot after collecting Michael Harriman’s incisive forward pass, and Paul Hayes put the rebound wide.

Southwell then struck the woodwork with a superbly-hit free-kick before Hayes was just unable to convert a close-range header from a low cross from the left, and Southwell again threatened when he brushed off the challenge of a defender under a bouncing ball but saw his shot ricochet off the keeper and loop over.

Slough did have a couple of chances, with trialist Paul Hodges bending a shot just wide, and Gavin James missing the target after wriggling free in the box, but it was Wycombe who looked most likely to find a winner and it was almost the trialist winger who grabbed it, but his side-footed shot was kept out from Paris Cowan-Hall’s clever cut-back.

First half: Brown, Jombati, Trialist-LB, Stewart, Muller, Rowe, Gape, Saunders, Freeman, Tyson, Trialist-W.

Second half: Trialist-GK, Harriman, Jacobson, De Havilland, Trialist-LB, Rowe, O’Nien, Cowan-Hall, Southwell, Hayes, Trialist-LW.

Attendance: 1,407

Advertisement block