Marcus Bean has revealed that he considered retiring from playing in the summer before being persuaded by manager Gareth Ainsworth to remain part of the squad for the 2017/18 campaign.
The midfielder put pen to paper on a new one-year deal last Friday after spending the summer weighing up his options, having received an opportunity to pursue ventures off the pitch.
"I’m delighted to have signed for the club," he told iFollow. "It look longer than I and the club would have liked, but it’s great to get back in and see the boys again.
"I said to the gaffer after the last game of last season against Cambridge that it might be my last game in football; it was something I’d been considering for a while and an opportunity arose that I thought was too good to turn down, but the gaffer convinced me to sign on.
"It didn’t take much convincing, and I spoke to friends and family who reminded me that you’re a long time retired.
"I feel I’ve got unfinished business here as well; I want to go out with a bang by winning promotion and I feel we’ve got a chance of doing that. We’d like to start faster than we did last year and we know we need to put a little bit of pressure on ourselves if we’re going to be in the promotion mix," he added.
The former QPR man continued training alongside his team-mates while contract talks continued and he says he's fit and ready to go for the start of the new campaign at the end of next week.
"There hasn’t been much change around the club; we’ve lost a few players but kept the core of the squad together and I know the gaffer’s been trying to add one or two. Adam (El-Abd) has been excellent and the squad’s looking really good.
"Training has been very considered; the sessions have been very football-related and I think the days of running around the track are a thing of the past. It’s very data-driven and I feel good for it. I feel fit and sharp and everyone’s enjoyed it."