Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Tottenham 4-3 Wycombe

28 January 2017

Report: Tottenham 4-3 Wycombe

It was heartbreak for Wycombe Wanderers at White Hart Lane as a last-gasp goal from Son Heung-Min sealed a 4-3 win for Tottenham Hotspur in the Emirates FA Cup.

A first-half brace from Paul Hayes fired Wanderers into a shock half-time lead, but after throwing on their star players, Spurs hit back through Son and Vincent Janssen before a brilliant Garry Thompson header restored Wycombe’s lead.

Dele Alli struck just before the 90th minute and Son’s winner broke Wycombe hearts but not their spirit as they can hold their heads high after a phenomenal performance against the Premier League side.

Gareth Ainsworth’s side went into the fourth round tie on the back of a 16-match unbeaten run and it was almost the dream start as in the first minute Hayes rattled the bar with a header. A deep cross from Sido Jombati was headed back across goal by Adebayo Akinfenwa to an unmarked Hayes who couldn’t get his head on target from six yards.

The Chairboys’ impressive start continued as Akinfenwa again caused problems in the Tottenham defence, heading straight at Michel Vorm on seven minutes and Sam Wood volleyed over from Akinfenwa’s flick two minutes later and the midfielder sent and audacious lob wide with Vorm stranded.

Despite some good early pressure on the Tottenham goal, Wycombe had to be switched on at the other end and it took a superb challenge from Aaron Pierre to deny Georges-Kevin Nkoudou. 

The Blues created a chance for Spurs from their own doing as a short back-header from Luke O’Nien was latched on to by Son Heung-Min on 19 but he could only fire wide from a tight angle. 

Hayes came close again on 23 as his stinging long-range strike was tipped just wide by Vorm but the skipper was not to be denied a third time as he put Wycombe ahead.

From the resulting corner Joe Jacobson’s delivery was flicked on to Hayes at the back post and he hit a sweet left-footed volley into the top corner to send 4,000 Chairboys fans wild.

Spurs looked to hit back straight away and Hayes pulled off a heroic goal-line clearance from Moussa Sissoko as the Spurs man pounced on a rebound from Jamal Blackman’s save, and the Wycombe stopper was called into action again on 29 to deny Son’s fierce effort. 

It looked as if Tottenham were edging closer to find an equaliser but the superb Sam Wood broke down the right flank and was hauled down in the box by Cameron Carter-Vickers to give the Blues the chance to double the lead from the penalty spot. Hayes stepped up and hit a firm strike past Vorm to double the lead and send the Chairboys into dreamland. 

Spurs came out of the blocks at the start of the second half with the introduction of Dutch international Vincent Janssen and he was immediately involved as he went down under a challenge by Aaron Pierre in the penalty area, but no penalty was given.

The mounting pressure on the Wanderers goal told as Son pulled one back on the hour mark. Wycombe failed to clear a corner and the ball fell to Son whose deflected shot from a tight angle flew past Blackman at his near post.

Spurs introduced Dele Alli and Mousa Dembele from the substitutes’ bench and they were soon level as Janssen scored from the penalty spot. The Dutchman was fouled by Pierre in the box and he brushed himself down to tuck home despite Blackman getting a strong hand on his shot. 

Spurs were reduced to 10 men as Kieran Trippier was forced off with an injury after they had made all three subs and the Wycombe defence was holding firm.

The introduction of Thompson, Sam Saunders and Myles Weston from the substitutes bench added fresh legs to the Wanderers side and two of them linked up to devastating effect to fire the Blues back in front on 84.

Weston skipped past Eric Dier like he wasn’t there and had the freedom of the left flank to dink a cross for Thompson to rise majestically and plant a header into the far corner.

Premier League Spurs applied heaps of pressure on the Wanderers goal and they were level on 89 as Alli pounced on a mistake by Blackman to bring the game level and there was heartbreak in injury time as Son fired home from close range with virtually the last kick to end Wycombe’s valiant effort at the Lane and seal a 4-3 win.

The players were out on their feet at the full-time whistle and they had performed superbly for the full 90 minutes. Rightly so they were being given the plaudits by not only the fantastic travelling support, but also from the home fans as they acknowledged that Spurs had come close to being knocked out of the cup.

Wycombe: Blackman, Jombati, Jacobson, Stewart, Pierre, O’Nien, Gape, Wood, Akinfenwa (Weston 68’), Hayes (c) (Thompson 77’), Kashket (Saunders 77’)

Unused subs: Richardson, Bean, Harriman, De Havilland

Goals: Hayes 24’, pen 36’, Thompson 84’

Bookings: Jombati 42’, O’Nien 54’, Gape 79’, Jacobson 83’, Stewart 90’

Tottenham: Vorm, Trippier, Carter-Vickers, Wimmer (Dembele 61’), Davies, Winks, Dier (c), Sissoko, Nkoudou (Janssen 46’), Onomah (Alli 61’), Son

Unused subs: Lopez, Walker, Wanyama, Walker-Peters

Goals: Son 60’, 90’ Janssen pen 64’, Alli 89’

Bookings: Winks 54’, Janssen 69’

Advertisement block