Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 1-0 Portsmouth

4 February 2017

Report: Wycombe 1-0 Portsmouth

Wanderers returned to winning ways with a superb 1-0 home victory over Portsmouth, given to them by a deflected Scott Kashket strike in the second half.

Gareth Ainsworth had reverted to the same side that battled so well at Tottenham last week, and helped to make amends for their midweek defeat at Exeter with a professional and dogged display.

Pompey were almost ahead inside 10 seconds when Gary Roberts fed Jamal Lowe with a smart through-ball, only for the striker to drill wide of the target, before Adebayo Akinfenwa shot straight at David Forde after controlling a cross superbly on his chest.

The hosts moved the ball around well and enjoyed more of the possession in the opening exchanges, and the presence of Akinfenwa was causing a real problem for the visiting defence, who just about held firm to protect Forde’s goal.

Christian Burgess threatened with two half chances from corners for Portsmouth, before the game entered a lull with both sides cancelling each other out in midfield, before Pompey created two chances in a minute, first seeing Eoin Doyle’s low shot lack the power to beat Jamal Blackman before Enda Stevens burst into the box and had his shot blocked by the onrushing keeper.

Gareth Evans then lashed a shot wide before momentum began to swing the other way, with Anthony Stewart sending a header on target from Joe Jacobson’s free-kick before the hosts were awarded a free-kick right outside the box following a foul on Scott Kashket. Sido Jombati stepped up, but his effort was comfortable for the keeper to gather.

There was to be no more action before the interval, at which point Gareth Ainsworth replaced Paul Hayes with Sam Saunders, and saw his side take the lead within three minutes of the restart. Scott Kashket found a pocket of space 25 yards out and drilled goalwards, only for his shot to take a hefty deflection to wrong-foot the keeper and land in the back of the net.

Gary Roberts fired into the side netting before Pompey almost gifted Wycombe a second, but Forde recovered just in time to collect Burgess’s wayward back-header on the line.

Aaron Pierre was forced off with an injury on the hour-mark, with Will De Havilland taking his place, before Gary Roberts twice got into decent positions but couldn’t pick out a team-mate with low crosses towards the near post.

Pompey made a double change, bringing on Carl Baker and Kal Naismith for Jamal Lowe and Kyle Bennett, and the former almost made an immediate impact, poking a chance over the bar as Wycombe dithered over a long ball.

Adebayo Akinfenwa raced away down the left after nicking the ball off the toes of the defender and then laid it off to find a shooting position, only to miscue the chance once Wood played it into his path 12 yards out.

Eoin Doyle threatened with six minutes remaining when he collected a pass but saw his shot blocked behind by Jamal Blackman, before Paul Cook threw on Conor Chaplin with his last throw of the dice.

As the clock ticked towards 90, Garry Thompson came on for Scott Kashket, and played his part attempting to alleviate the last pressure from the visitors, who forced a succession of corners and saw Carl Baker’s swerving effort fly over the bar before the full-time whistle sounded to cap a superb 100th victory for Gareth Ainsworth in his 250th game as a manager.

Winning 50/50 Numbers
Blue £1 – 26848 – prize of £701
Orange £2 – 18372 – prize of £111

Advertisement block