Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Coventry 2-1 Wycombe

7 February 2017

A late onslaught from the Chairboys wasn't enough to prevent a 2-1 defeat to Coventry in the semi-final of the Checkatrade Trophy.

City stormed into an early two-goal lead through Stuart Beavon and George Thomas, and it proved to be enough - just - as the Wanderers came on strong with a second-half fightback started by substitute Adebayo Akinfenwa, who made it 2-1 10 minutes after the interval.

On a poor playing surface, Wanderers struggled to create clear-cut chances in the opening period, but instead their best threat looked to be from crosses with home keeper Reice Charles-Cook looking nervy.

He saved Myles Weston's side-footed volley before City opened the scoring when Callum Reilly's low cross from the right was collected by former Chairboy Stuart Beavon, and his low strike took a deflection before beating Jamal Blackman.

A goalmouth scramble at the other end saw the Blues unable to force the ball over the line before the Sky Blues doubled their lead, when a deep cross from the left wing skimmed over the head of Joe Jacobson and George Thomas chested the ball down before drilling home.

A powerful volley from Luke O'Nien hit the target but couldn't beat Charles-Cook, while half chances for Thomas and Andy Rose went wide as the hosts looked to put the game beyond doubt.

Myles Weston missed a golden chance before the interval, shooting over from close range after being picked out by Luke O'Nien, before Gareth Ainsworth introduced Adebayo Akinfenwa from the bench at half-time.

His first involvement was to tee up Weston for a fine curling effort which sailed narrowly wide, before Weston's low cross was somehow kept out by a combination of defender and keeper with Sam Saunders lurking.

But it didn't take long for the striker's presence to lead to a goal, and it was Akinfenwa himself who halved the deficit, thundering home a superb strike after he had initially chested down a free-kick only for Sam Saunders to mis-hit his shot into his path.

All of a sudden the Chairboys had their tails up, and the hosts were rattled, struggling to clear their lines as Wycombe kept the pressure on.

Luke O'Nien fired just wide on the volley and Marcus Bean's deflected shot was saved by the keeper just after Wanderers introduced Scott Kashket from the bench, but the Sky Blues then began to alleviate the pressure, enjoying some attacking territory for a five-minute spell.

Back came Wycombe, and only a last-ditch tackle from Jordan Turnbull denied Kashket a free run at goal, before a succession of set pieces tested the defence of League 1's bottom club.

The visitors threw everything at Coventry in the closing stages, but the Sky Blues held on during six minutes of stoppage time to secure their place under the arch on April 2nd.

Advertisement block