Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 1-0 Chesterfield

O'Nien wins it for the Wanderers.

16 December 2017

A superb solitary strike from Luke O’Nien secured all three points for the Chairboys against a resilient Chesterfield outfit at Adams Park on Saturday afternoon.

O’Nien lashed home from just inside the area in the second half to break the deadlock and a second successive clean sheet never looked in doubt from that point on.

Wanderers began brightly with a spring in their step as they hunted down a fifth straight home win in all competitions, with Craig Mackail-Smith volleying goalwards from Joe Jacobson but ex-Chairboys loanee Cameron Dawson was able to hold comfortably in the Sprieites goal.

Adebayo Akinfenwa was harshly booked for catching Ian Evatt in a 50-50 contest, before Sam Saunders let fly from distance but wasn’t able to trouble the keeper.

Then Ebere Eze’s goalbound shot was blocked by Ian Evatt and deflected to safety, before Dawson produced a superb block to deny Mackail-Smith’s close-range effort after Akinfenwa did excellently to hold the ball up in the box.

But the tempo was stifled in the lead-up to half-time, with Chesterfield keeping ten men behind the ball to thwart the hosts’ attacking potency.

They could only stand and watch as a stunning free-kick from Sam Saunders rattled the crossbar two minutes before the break, after Akinfenwa was bundled over.

A quiet start to the second period saw Chesterfield’s Jak McCourt booked for simulation before Scott Brown did well to tip a dangerous cross to safety inside the six-yard box.

But the deadlock was broken in terrific fashion when Luke O’Nien drilled home into the bottom corner from just inside the area, cutting in superbly and giving the keeper no chance for his first goal since early September.

A couple of Spireites free-kicks came to nothing at the other end, before Akinfenwa almost produced a sublime second goal, keeping possession to drive into a shooting position and firing towards the target, but Dawson flew to his right to save.

Then Eberechi Eze swerved a shot wide after a lay-off from Akinfenwa as Wycombe pressed for a second goal to stretch their advantage, before Chesterfield boss Jack Lester made his first change, bringing on striker Chris O’Grady for Andy Kellett which prompted a change in system.

Gareth Ainsworth swapped Nathan Tyson for Paris Cowan-Hall with 73 minutes on the clock, and with no real chances falling either way, there were more changes with Matt Bloomfield and Connor Dimaio replacing Eze and Robbie Weir respectively.

DImaio instantly curled a dangerous free-kick beyond the far post from out wide, before referee Nick Kinseley added on six minutes of stoppage time to give the visitors hope.

Paris Cowan-Hall was tripped as he rounded the keeper but the Spireites were saved by an offside flag, but there were no further chances and Wanderers celebrated yet another success on home soil.

Attendance: 4,522 (289 away)

50/50 Draw Numbers
Blue £1: 11950 (Prize: £526.50)
Orange £2: 31607 (Prize: £131.00)

Advertisement block