Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 2-2 Lincoln

Chairboys draw opening game of the Sky Bet League Two season.

5 August 2017

Wycombe drew 2-2 with Lincoln City in their opening game of the 2017/18 campaign.

The Chairboys had to come back from behind when Matt Green gave the Imps the lead with just over 30 minutes played.

The home side responded well and turned the game on its head with goals from Luke O'Nien and a sublime free kick from Joe Jacobson before the interval.

In a second half of few chances, Danny Cowley's men grabbed an equaliser early on through Josh Ginnelly to ensure they travelled back to Lincolnshire with a point.

With both teams right up for this one, it was Wycombe who had the game's first opening. Dayle Southwell found space, and teed it Luke O'Nien on the edge who hit a low drive just past the post with 3 minutes played.

Not long after, Lincoln stung the palms of Scott Brown in the Chairboys goal. Josh Ginnelly was played in on the right and the Burnley loanee hit it low towards the near post which Brown got down well to stop.

Adebayo Akinfenwa was next to try his luck, latching on to a long Brown punt with his head but keepr Paul Farman was equal to it on 10 minutes.

Wycombe cranked up the pressure as Sam Saunders whipped in a teasing ball in the direction in the direction of Akinfenwa. Bayo did well to knock it down, and if it wasn't for Michael Bostwick with a timely interception out for a corner, O'Nien would have slotted it home on 15'.

The Chairboys had to show their defensive metal on 18 minutes as Ginnelly floated a free kick from 25-yards out to the back post. The ball was headed back across goal but Akinfenwa stood his ground with some brave defending, earning a free kick in the process.

The game was turning into a battle at both ends of the pitch with Wycombe having to be careful not to be too drawn in. 

The game's opening goal came just past the half-hour mark and it was the visitors who grabbed it.

A mix up between Southwell and Jacobson saw the latter lose possession to Nathan Arnold in the box. The winger got to the by-line and put it across the six-yard box to Green on a plate, who glady took the opportunity to put the Imps 1-0 up and send the away fans wild.

Matt Rhead was enjoying his role as pantomime villain trying to slow the game down at every opportunity, but he nor the rest of the Lincoln players could stop the Chairboys from claiming a deserved equaliser on 37 minutes. 

It was as simple as you like! Jacobson whipped in a free-kick, O'Nien lost his man and planted a header into the net to put Wanderers level.

What was good was about to get a whole lot better as Wycombe earned themselves a free kick right on the edge two minutes after claiming the equaliser. Sure enough the turnaround was complete as Jacobson sent a low curling free-kick around the wall and into the bottom corner, bamboozling Farman in the Imps' net.

Half-time: Wycombe 2-1 Lincoln

Within three minutes of the restart, Lincoln were level. Skipper Woodyard carved open the Chairboys defence with a ball that sent Ginnelly clear. With just Brown to beat the winger slotted it into the right corner.

They could have made it 3-2 as Ginnelly raced down the left and played it low into the box. It went through to Rhead who was caught unaware and it ended up hitting the big man and going wide.

Rhead using his strength then found space from an Imps' corner on 57' but could only put his header well shy of the target. That was his last action as he was replaced for Billy Knott just past the hour-mark

The game was turning a bit fiesty; Woodyard put in a horribly mistimed tackle on Dominic Gape which saw a minor altercation occur between both sets of players. Woodyard saw yellow for the tackle, Saunders was booked for the afters.

Gareth Ainsworth made his first change as Southwell made way for Paris Cowan-Hall with just over 20 minutes remaining with the game looking for new life.Bloomfield would also enter in the field in place of Saunders five minutes later.

The game's energy seemed to be drained away under the baking sun as both sides tired. With Hayes coming on in place of Tyson with a couple of minutes remaining, Wycombe attempted to pump the ball long in direction of him and Akinfenwa.

There was to be no late winner though and the Chairboys got off the mark with a point at home.

Attendance 5,538

50/50 Result:

£1 Draw (£513) - 00552

£2 Draw (£55) - 27551


Advertisement block