Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Grimsby 2-3 Wycombe

26 August 2017

Wycombe came out on top in a five-goal thriller at Blundell Park, as they defeated ten-man Grimsby Town 3-2.

The Chairboys went into the break two to the good thanks to goals from Adebayo Akinfenwa and a Joe Jacobson penalty after Danny Collins handled in the box.

Grimsby found a route back into the match via the penalty spot after Anthony Stewart was adjudged to have pushed Collins on 51 minutes and Mitch Rose dispatched.

Collins continued to be part of the game's main talking points as he saw red for a second bookable offence after a tackle on Matt Bloomfield after receiving his first booking for the penalty incident in the first half.

Despite the one man defecit, Grimsby got themselves level thanks to a JJ Hooper strike from range.

But it was to be the Chairboys day as an Akinfenwa header gave him four goals in four in the league and handed the Chairboys all three points.

Gareth Ainsworth made three changes to the line-up for this one with Paris Cowan-Hall, Craig Mackail-Smith and Anthony Stewart coming into the starting XI in place of  Paul Hayes, Dayle Southwell and Sido Jombati with the latter two on the bench.

Sam Saunders, Nathan Tyson and Scott Kashket missed out through injury and Danny Rowe was unavailable due to personal reasons.

The game started at a good pace with some timely blocks at both ends to deny Hooper and then Adam El-Abd in the opening ten minutes. 

Akinfenwa then held up the ball well before laying it through to Mackail-Smith, but his first touch let him down and allowed the Mariners defence to recover and stop the summer signing going through one-on-one on 26 minutes.

The Chairboys would make no mistake four minutes later however as great work down the right from Michael Harriman and Dominic Gape saw the former whip the ball in which dropped to the Beast and he duly delievered finding the bottom corner.

Wycombe almost made it two on 34 minutes as Anthony Stewart beat keeper James McKeown with a header from Jacobson's corner but saw his effort cleared off the line.

Wanderers would have the opportunity to double their advantage just before half time as Collins handled a cross into the box. Jacobson stepped up and coolly found the left corner and put the Chairboys 2-0 up at the break.

Half-time: Grimsby 0-2 Wycombe

Russell Slade made an attacking change at half-time as Diallang Jaiyesmi came on for Sam Kelly as they looked to make a quick reponse.

They did just that on 51 minutes after the referee pointed to the spot as Stewart was said to have pushed Collins in the area. Rose made no mistake from the spot-kick and the Mariners were back in it.

They made it hard for themselves though by picking up their fifth red card in as many games as Collins received a second booking for a foul on Bloomfield having already been booked for the first half penalty incident.

Wycombe nearly made it three from the resulting free kick as Jacobson's effort was spilled and Cowan-Hall's rebound was blocked.

Despite the one-man defecit, Grimsby struck level on 65 minutes as Hooper hit a pile-driver from 25-yards leaving Scott Brown no chance.

The Chairboys rolled up their sleeves and restored their lead nine minutes later as Harriman sent a floating ball to the back post and the Beast did what he does best; using his strength to rise highest and head into the net.

That seemed to completely knock the wind out of Grimsby's sails as their pressure deteriorated under the baking bank holiday sun.

Three points it was for the Chairboys then; their second consecutive win on the road by the same scoreline and another good one for the neutrals!

Wycombe now return to action on Tuesday in the Checkatrade Trophy at Adams Park vs Bristol Rovers.

Advertisement block