Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

Last time we met: Grimsby Town

See what happened on our last visit to Blundell Park.

22 August 2017

Ahead of this weekend's trip to face Grimsby Town, remind yourselves of what happened when we last visited Blundell Park.

After a run of six league games without a win, Wycombe picked up a much needed three points at Blundell Park in early March 2017, with a 2-1 win over Grimsby.

Calum Dyson’s first-half penalty for the hosts gave initial indications that it would be another miserable afternoon for the Chairboys, but an inspired second half display from Wanderers combined with a Danny Collins’ own goal and a Paris Cowan-Hall wonder-strike meant the game was turned firmly on its head.

Gareth Ainsworth thrust Dayle Southwell straight into the starting line-up to face his former club after the striker returned from his loan spell at Lincoln City, in the only change to the side that was involved in the previous fixture at Accrington. 

After half-chances for both sides, the game's first clear-cut chance went to Grimsby on 15 minutes, as Jamal Blackman made a save from point-blank range to deny Dyson.

The striker was able to break the deadlock moments later however, when Sam Wood tripped the lively Tom Bolarinwa in the area and Dyson slotted home the penalty. 

In reponse Joe Jacobson almost scored direct from a corner, Zac Mills blocked Southwell’s goalbound effort from close range and Max Muller looped a header over as the half drew to a close.

Gareth Ainsworth reacted to the half-time deficit by making two substitutions and a formation change, to dramatic effect. Luke O’Nien and Paris Cowan-Hall came into a new 4-3-3 set-up at the expense of Sam Wood and Garry Thompson.

The equaliser came shortly after the hour-mark, and it was an own goal that brought the Chairboys level, with Adebayo Akinfenwa flicking on a cross and Danny Collins looping the ball over his keeper and into the net. 

Keeper James McKeown was called upon to hold a smart shot by Paris Cowan-Hall as Wycombe cranked up the pressure, and the same two names were involved in the match-winning moment on 71 minutes. 

Joe Jacobson’s free-kick was punched clear by the keeper, who also made contact with defender Gavin Gunning in the process. Gunning fell to the floor in a heap, while Cowan-Hall ran away from goal to collect the ball and then send a stunning swerving shot into the top corner.

Grimsby came back strong, with Dominic Vose’s shot being held by Blackman and then the same player drilling a low cross into the six-yard box which was turned goalwards but blocked on the line. 

Blackman made another fine reflex save in stoppage time to preserve those precious three points, as Wycombe celebrated a return to winning ways having come from behind in style.

Back your Chairboys this Saturday - Grimsby Town v Wycombe Wanderers ticket information.

Advertisement block