Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 2-1 Doncaster

22 April 2017

Report: Wycombe 2-1 Doncaster

Luke O'Nien struck twice in the first half to send the Chairboys on their way to a superb 2-1 win as the play-off race hots up once more in Sky Bet League 2.

The midfielder netted either side of Alfie May's deflected effort and then dug deep with a fantastic defensive display after the break to hold on for the victory.

Gareth Ainsworth made one change to the starting line-up that defeated Barnet 2-0 on Monday, with Matt Bloomfield’s return to the side prompting a 4-4-2 diamond formation as Paul Hayes dropped to the bench.

A quiet start saw both sides attempt to settle into the game with a passing approach, and it was leaders Doncaster who had the first chance as Tommy Rowe stung the palms of Jamal Blackman with a fierce shot following a throw-in, but the keeper held.

Then Sam Saunders looked for a repeat of his stunning strike at Barnet by attempting an audacious lob from 45 yards with his left foot, which sailed a few yards over the top.

But it was his midfield partner Luke O’Nien who broke the deadlock with a chance he simply couldn’t miss on nine minutes. Joe Jacobson’s long throw was headed superbly onto the angle of bar and post by Adebayo Akinfenwa and, with Ian Lawlor stranded on the floor having dived in an attempt to save it, O’Nien nodded the rebound into an empty net.

Jamal Blackman did well to bravely hold a low cross which deflected off Sam Saunders and spun towards the bottom corner under pressure from Alfie May, but it wasn’t to be long until May was involved again, levelling with the heaviest slice of fortune.

His attempted low cross nicked off the leg of Sido Jombati and looped at pace towards the back post, somehow nestling in the back of the net giving Blackman no chance.

Rovers regained confidence after the goal and top scorer John Marquis should have then done better with a low shot from the edge of the box, failing to make a clean connection on a shot which trickled wide of the near post.

Then Tommy Rowe went closer, twisting and turning from 20 yards before hitting the base of the post with a fierce effort as Doncaster began to impose themselves more and more.

So Wanderers needed to swing momentum the other way, and it was O’Nien who handed them the lead again with a superb left-footed strike on 31 minutes. Joe Jacobson’s deep free-kick was controlled by Akinfenwa and O’Nien was on hand to drill it first time into the bottom corner, giving the keeper no chance.

Mathieu Baudry took out his frustration with a late tackle on Joe Jacobson which earned him a yellow card, and then Alfie May was forced off with an injury as Gary McSheffrey took his place.

The substitution gave Rovers fresh impetus and Wanderers needed to defend well to quell a moment of pressure in their own area, with John Marquis’s looping header being cleared by Jacobson. Moments later, Rowe’s deflected shot spun into the path of James Coppinger, who couldn’t convert at full-stretch.

At the other end, Michael Harriman’s inviting cross was headed over the top by Akinfenwa, and then McSheffrey missed the target when handed an opening 20 yards out.

Wycombe threatened again with two set-pieces into the box in three minutes of stoppage time, but there were no further goals before the break as the home fans cheered their boys off after an excellent first half.

Akinfenwa had a shot blocked early into the second period before Mathieu Baudry headed wide of the near post from a corner as Doncaster pressed for an equaliser.

But they were lucky to survive a moment of controversy when Scott Kashket was bundled down outside the area by Andy Butler, who was the last man but only received a yellow card.

The free-kick came to nothing and then Doncaster had a real chance of an equaliser when Sam Saunders lost possession outside his own area and Marquis teed up Tommy Rowe for a chance, but Blackman saved well with his legs before Michael Harriman scrambled clear.

Gareth Ainsworth made his first change to introduce Garry Thompson for Scott Kashket in attack, before Rovers threatened again, seeing McSheffrey’s shot deflect into the side netting off O’Nien.

Then Saunders came off for Dominic Gape in midfield, and the new arrival almost sealed the points in style, sending an effort crashing against the crossbar on the half volley from outside the box.

There were to be six minutes of added time, and Wanderers found themselves having to concede fouls inside their own half to contain a Rovers side full of fight. Mathieu Baudry glanced a header wide from one set-piece delivery, and then John Marquis fired wide under pressure when chasing a long ball into the box.

But the final whistle eventually came to edge Wanderers closer to the play-offs with two games to go.

50/50 Draw Numbers
Blue £1: 41302
Prize Money: £642.00

Orange £2: 49324
Prize Money: £158.00

Advertisement block