Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Leyton Orient v Wycombe Wanderers

1 April 2017

Report: Leyton Orient 0-2 Wycombe

Wycombe Wanderers came away from a ten-man Leyton Orient with a 2-0 victory, thanks to goals from Matt Bloomfield and Myles Weston.

After a bright start from the hosts, the game turned on the 26th minute when Orient defender Tom Parkes received his marching orders for a high tackle on Garry Thompson.

The Chairboys took full advantage of the extra-man and are four points off the play-offs with six left to play.

Gareth Ainsworth made three changes to the starting line-up for this one with Scott Kashket returning to the subs' bench. Paris Cowan-Hall missed out through injury, while Max Muller dropped out of the squad to enable Ainsworth to name an attacking bench.

Leyton Orient came out the traps quickly, and Jamal Blackman was called upon early doors to deny Koroma with his legs, before Weston headed off the line on 5 minutes after Mezague's instinctive effort following a corner.

With the wind in their sails Orient almost took the lead on the ten minute mark as Koroma's shot was deflected just over/wide from 18 yards.

Wycombe weathered the storm with Akinfenwa showing some great link-up play at the top. The game turned on 26 minutes however, when Parkes was shown a straight red for a dangerous tackle on Thompson.

As boos rang around the home end, Wycombe were soon in front; Akinfenwa flicked it on, and the ball broke kindly for Bloomfield and he slotted it home on 36 minutes.

It got a whole lot better just two minutes later as a horror show for Orient at the back saw Janse and Sargeant collide and Weston lofted it into an empty net to put Wanderers two-up at the break.

Half-time: Leyton Orient 0-2 Wycombe

The away side started the second half with their tails up; Thompson was denied on the hour mark by a brave block as he got between two defenders and pulled the trigger.

Three minutes later and there was stunning save by the young Orient keeper, Sam Sargeant. Weston beat his man, crossed, Akinfenwa layed it off, and a Saunders pile-driver towards the top corner was denied.

On 68 minutes it was again so nearly three as the ball smacked off the Orient bar!  Michael Harriman's cross reached Aaron Pierre, who chested it down and shot for the top corner, but it was inches away.

As the game ticked on, the chances dried up with the atmosphere at boiling point in the stands. Joe Jacobson whipped in a cross with six to play, but Thompson couldn't keep his header down.

That was the last real chance of the game, and it was a case of 'job done' as goals from Bloomfield and Weston give us a third successive away win.

Attendance: 4,526 (766 Wycombe)

Advertisement block