Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Last time at the Hive: Thompson double bursts Bees' bubble

16 April 2017

Ahead of the Easter Monday fixture vs Barnet, we take a look at what happened last time we visited the Hive Stadium on 15th August 2015.

Garry Thompson struck the first two Football League goals at the Hive to give Wanderers a 2-0 victory over recently promoted Barnet and hand them their first away victory of the season.

The visiting fans were making all the noise at kick-off and watched their side begin with confidence, but it was Barnet who should have broken the deadlock inside six minutes when John Akinde dinked an effort wide of the post after going one-on-one with Matt Ingram. 

The game settled into a midfield scrap midway through the half as the visiting defence got to grips with the threat of Akinde, although Luke Gambin grew into the game with a couple of dangerous crosses from out wide. 

At the other end, Garry Thompson’s sheer presence panicked Barnet into action every time the ball came near him, while Marcus Bean became the controlling influence in the middle in an attempt to calm play down. 

The game sprang to life again at the end of the half as Paul Hayes forced two saves from Stack either side of a good chance for Luke Gambin, who smashed the ball against the outside of the post following a corner. 

Then Akinde poked wide from an angle after wriggling free in the box but the game ended goalless at half-time with neither side able to find the breakthrough. 

That came seven minutes into the second period with Garry Thompson – who had seen a shot blocked inside the box earlier in the half – drilled an unstoppable effort into the top corner from 20 yards. The forward received Joe Jacobson’s pass with his back to goal but turned and unleashed a superb strike, leaving the keeper helpless. 

Jason Banton teed up Aaron Amadi-Holloway for a shot which Stack got down to save with three minutes remaining, before the points were sealed when Thompson converted a penalty in stoppage time. Sam Wood fed the striker inside the box and an illegal challenge from a Barnet defender gave the 34-year-old the chance to stroke it home coolly past Stack. 

Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Rowe (Banton 77), Pierre, Harriman, O’Nien, Bean, Wood, Hayes (Amadi-Holloway 70), Thompson. 

Barnet: Stack, Hoyte (Tomlinson 58), Johnson, Dembele, N’Gala, Togwell, Champion, Weston (Gash 58), Yiadom, Gambin (Batt 68), Akinde. 

Attendance: 2,562 (902 from Wycombe)

Advertisement block