Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Flashback: 2015 - Mawson heads Chairboys back to winning ways vs Cheltenham

5 April 2017

Ahead of this weekend's fixture, we take a look back at our last meeting with the Robins at Adams Park.

Wycombe 2
Pierre (45), Mawson (56)

Cheltenham Town 1
Berry (54)

Sky Bet League Two | Adams Park
Saturday 11th April 2015

Alfie Mawson's header kept Wycombe's automatic promotion push alive, and got Gareth Ainsworth's side back to winning ways after two straight defeats in April 2015.

Facing a battling Cheltenham team in an opposite-ends of the table clash, Aaron Pierre gave the hosts the lead in first half injury time before Durrell Berry levelled with his first goal for Cheltenham.

But up stepped Brentford loanee Mawson to secure the points, meeting Sam Saunders' corner with precision.

Marcus Bean dropped to the bench for this one as Gareth Ainsworth recalled Saunders into the starting lineup; Hogan Ephraim was fit enough for a place on the bench after suffering a hand injury.

The game started brightly for the hosts who formed a three-pronged attack with the pace of Fred Onyedinma being flanked with the physicality of Aaron Holloway and the shrewd footwork of Paul Hayes.

Fans watching the game were aggrieved at the referee’s decision to deny penalty appeals for fouls on both Onyedinma and Pierre. The Chairboys pushed forward and Onyedinma was denied by Carson after a neat reflex save.

In opposition, Nico Yennaris replied with a shot that rattled the Cheltenham crossbar as well as fans' hearts, the ball bouncing down off of the cross bar and away to safety with the officials not in view to allow the goal.

Wycombe hearts were in mouths when Joe Jacobson succumbed to a challenge from Jordan Wynter; the Welshman who initially tried to play on was subsequently substituted for Peter Murphy.

With Wycombe dealt a blow, it was inevitably time for more drama; and in an allocated eight minutes of added time Sam Saunders was able to pick out Aaron Pierre from a corner, which saw the former Bees man show brilliant trickery to pick out the bottom corner of the net.

Just nine minutes after the restart an uncharacteristic Paul Hayes mistake was seized upon by substitute Durrell Berry who slotted home.

Wycombe were not behind for long though, with Alfie Mawson getting in on the act and putting the Chairboys in front with his 5th goal of the season. That goal saw Mawson go level pegging with his defensive colleague Pierre in the Chairboys goal scoring charts.

Wycombe pushed on looking to seal the game with Fred Onyedinma seeing his header go wide. Sam Saunders also came close with a free kick that stung the palms of Trevor Carson.

Heroic blocks from a number of Wycombe players proved to be the difference between a solitary point and three as the promotion pendulum swung another way.

Both sides were to suffer heartbreak later in the season, as Wycombe lost in the play-off final to Southend United, and Cheltenham fell through the trap door to the National League.

Ahead of this weekend's crunch match as the Chairboys aim for the Sky Bet League Two play-offs again this time around, take a look back at the highlights from that meeting below:

Wycombe:Ingram, Yennaris, Mawson, Pierre, Jacobson (Murphy 44), Saunders, Bloomfield, Wood, Holloway (Craig 89), Hayes, Onyedinma

Subs not used: Bean, Fletcher, McClure, Lynch, Ephraim

Cheltenham: Carson, Vaughan, Brown, Deaman (Taylor 74), Braham-Barrett, McDonald, Sparrow, Richards, Wynter (Berry 45), Manset, Burns (Haynes 27)

Subs not used: Mills, Gould, Hanks, Harrad

Advertisement block