Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wycombe 1-0 Stevenage

17 September 2016

Dayle Southwell's first goal for the club handed the Blues a 1-0 victory over Stevenage at Adams Park on Saturday.

Gareth Ainsworth's men returned to winning ways with a perfect blend of attacking invention and defensive resilience, overcoming a disappointing run of form to break down in-form Stevenage.

Southwell's goal came from close range with virtually the last kick of the first half and it proved to be enough to cap an enjoyable day on home turf.

Wycombe enjoyed a fast start and twice broke into the box in the early exchanges without being able to get a shot away, before Boro threatened on the break with Tom Pett’s low effort being comfortably saved by Jamal Blackman.

The tempo settled and both defences found themselves on top, with Stevenage having the next chance when Tyler Walker curled wide after breaking in from the left.

The deadlock was almost broken in stunning fashion when Michael Harriman let fly with a stunning free-kick which seemed destined for the top corner, only for Jamie Jones to pull off a remarkable fingertip save to keep it out.

As the half moved towards its conclusion, chances began to open up for Dayle Southwell, and it was a case of third time lucky as he opened his account for his new club with virtually the last kick.

First he dragged wide from Paul Hayes’ clever lay-off from 18 yards before he stayed onside to meet Matt Bloomfield’s clever flicked header, only to cushion a shot into the keeper’s arms.

But there was no mistake when Sam Wood burst into the box and saw his shot blocked before sending a cross-shot along the six-yard box, finding Southwell in the right place at the right time to force it over the line.

There were no changes at the interval, after which Sam Wood hit the wall with a free-kick and Southwell and Hayes both saw shots blocked inside the area, before Andrew Fox missed a good chance to level when he found himself in space in the box, only to send the ball wide.

Back up the other end, Anthony Stewart and Wood went close with headers; the former’s flying over from a corner before the latter’s landed in the keeper’s arms from Hayes’s cross, and then came the first change as Paris Cowan-Hall made his first appearance of the season from the bench, replacing Southwell.

He made an immediate impact, twice cutting in from the left and getting a shot away, although the first was deflected to safety and the second held by Jones.

Boro threw the kitchen sink at Wycombe in the closing stages but were repelled by some brave and well-timed defending, although Walker did latch on to a miscued clearance from Michael Harriman to curl a chance into the side netting.

There were no further chances as the Blues saw out five minutes of stoppage time to notch up their second win of the campaign, boosting confidence ahead of the long trip to Carlisle next week.

Wycombe: Blackman, Jombati, Harriman, Stewart, Pierre, Thompson, Bloomfield, Gape, Wood (Rowe 90), Hayes, Southwell (Cowan-Hall 78).

Unused subs: Richardson, McGinn, Akinfenwa, De Havilland, Kashket.

Stevenage: Jones, Fox (Kennedy 57), Ntlhe, Franks, Wilkinson, Tonge (Liburd 85), Lee, King, Pett (McAnuff 75), Walker, Godden.

Unused subs: Preston, Schumacher, Cowans, Kerr.

Referee: Brendan Malone

Attendance: 3,181 (292 from Stevenage)

Advertisement block