Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Carlisle 1-0 Wycombe

24 September 2016

A Shaun Miller goal proved to be the difference as Wycombe fell to a 1-0 defeat at Brunton Park this afternoon.

Wanderers can feel hard done by to have left the north west without a point as Matt Bloomfield and debutant Scott Kashket both struck the post, but Miller’s second half effort proved the difference to keep up Carlisle’s unbeaten run. 

Gareth Ainsworth was forced into one change from the side that defeated Stevenage at Adams Park last week – Dayle Southwell dropping out through injury, with Adebayo Akinfenwa taking his place in the starting line up.

It was a scrappy start to the game, with neither side able to gain a footing in the match, but the first opening arrived on 10 minutes, as the alert Shaun Miller attempted to latch onto an aimless ball forward. Jamal Blackman hesitated in the Wycombe goal and was thankful to the covering Aaron Pierre to intercept and clear the danger.

The Cumbrians looked fluid in attack, with Nicky Adams, Jason Kennedy and Luke Joyce rotating and finding pockets of space, but the Chairboys also mixed things up with Garry Thompson and Paul Hayes playing off Akinfenwa’s knock downs.

Akinfenwa had Wanderers’ first effort of the game on 15, steering a Sam Wood cross wide, and Kennedy should have given the home side the lead a minute later as he met Adams’ cross at the back post but headed over from inside the six yard box.

Michael Harriman curled an effort wide after linking up with Akinfenwa, but the best chance of the game fell to Matt Bloomfield on 39 minutes as he spun in the box after a Thompson long throw, and dug out an effort which struck the inside of the post with Mark Gillespie beaten. 

The sides went in level at the break, but Carlisle took the lead 10 minutes into the second half as Shaun Miller capitalised on a lapse in concentration at the back. 

The former Crewe forward latched onto a long ball forward and raced in on goal, lifting an effort over Blackman for 1-0.

Wanderers hit back though, trying to carve out openings as they searched for an equaliser. Paris Cowan-Hall was introduced, as was Scott Kashket for his Wanderers debut to try a different approach, and it nearly reaped its rewards as the debutant struck the post on 81.

Kashket appeared to foul Danny Grainger as he cleared the ball, but while he was on the deck the ball was played forward to Kashket in space on the right, he cut inside and hit a great effort which clipped the outside of the post. 

Dominic Gape had claims for a penalty waved away minutes later, and Carlisle looked to strike on the break, with substitute Jabo Ibehre forcing Blackman into a save, and the keeper pulling off a top save to deny a Tom Miller header from the resulting corner. 

Cowan-Hall fired an injury time effort over the bar but the home side expertly saw the game out to maintain their unbeaten start, and send a fantastic travelling support home point-less.

Wycombe: Blackman, Jombati, Harriman, Stewart, Pierre, Thompson, Wood, Bloomfield (McGinn 62), Gape, Akinfenwa (Kashket 74), Hayes (Cowan-Hall 62)
Unused subs: Richardson, Rowe, Freeman, De Havilland

Carlisle: Gillespie, T Miller, Grainger, Raynes, Gillesphey, Kennedy, Adams, Joyce (Lambe 58), Jones, Wyke (Devitt 72), S Miller (Ibehre 66)
Unused subs: Crocombe, Ellis, Brisley, McKee

Attendance: 4,354 (Away 116)

Advertisement block