Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Yeovil 1-0 Wycombe

8 October 2016

Wanderers fell to defeat at Huish Park with Ryan Hedges's first-half strike separating the sides.

In a game of limited quality and few clear-cut chances, it was the Glovers who snatched the points when Hedges turned home a rebound after Jamal Blackman tipped Alex Lawless's drive onto the post.

The opening exchanges were extremely settled and even, with one Wycombe corner and a speculative shot from distance by Yeovil’s Bevis Mugabi being the only incidents of any note, with both teams finding their feet.

The Glovers had the first effort on target when left-back Nathan Smith cut in onto his right foot inside the box and drilled towards the corner, only for Jamal Blackman to stick out a big hand to tip it away for a corner.

Alex Lacey then headed over from another set-piece before Wanderers’ first opening came when Garry Thompson stayed onside to meet a flick-on, only to shoot wide with his left foot under pressure.

The breakthrough came via the first real moment of quality, when Alex Lawless found a pocket of space to drive forward and unleash a fierce drive which was superbly tipped onto the inside of the post by Blackman, but it bounced kindly into the path of Ryan Hedges who tapped home.

Yeovil looked to capitalise on their momentum and Otis Khan flashed a ball across the face of goal after shoving Michael Harriman off the ball, before a couple of speculative shots from distance ensured it was the hosts who finished the half on top.

There were no changes at the interval but it was the visitors who enjoyed the better of the possession at the beginning of the second period, with Yeovil adopting a very deep back-line.

Paris Cowan-Hall was denied a shooting chance by a last-ditch Lacey tackle on the hour-mark, before Gareth Ainsworth made his first change, introducing Adebayo Akinfenwa into the mix with Garry Thompson making way.

Akinfenwa’s presence was felt immediately as he laid off Sam Wood’s header into the path of Danny Rowe, who bundled it wide amidst a bundle of bodies, before Matt Bloomfield took the place of Dominic Gape in the centre of the park.

Joe Jacobson curled a free-kick over the bar after Bloomfield was tripped 30 yards from goal, before Nick Freeman came into the fray as the Blues’ final throw of the dice, taking the place of Joe Jacobson.

Paul Hayes sent a tame shot into the arms of Krysiak from Freeman’s lay-off, and then the substitute lashed a shot into the side-netting in four minutes of stoppage time after Akinfenwa had flicked on a long ball into the box.

Wycombe: Blackman, Harriman, Jacobson (Freeman 84), Stewart, Pierre, Thompson (Akinfenwa 64), Rowe, Gape (Bloomfield 70), Wood, Hayes, Cowan-Hall.

Unused subs: Richardson, Jombati, McGinn, De Havilland.

Yeovil: Krysiak, Mugabi, Smith, Lacey, Ward, Lawless, Dolan, Dawson, Khan (Whitfield 86), Hedges, Campbell.

Unused subs: Maddison, Ezewele, Copp, Sowunmi, McLeod, Lea.

Referee: Lee Probert

Attendance: 3,187 (319 from Wycombe)

Advertisement block