Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 2-0 Morecambe

12 November 2016

Report: Wycombe 2-0 Morecambe

Aaron Pierre and Luke O'Nien struck in the second half to give Wanderers a convincing 2-0 win against Morecambe at Adams Park on Saturday.

The Shrimps offered a stiff resistance in the first period but had no answer to the Chairboys after the break, as the hosts turned possession and chances to goals in front of the home terrace.

Gareth Ainsworth reverted to the side that won 2-1 at Portsmouth last weekend, having made eight changes to his team for the midweek loss to Coventry City in the Checkatrade Trophy.

Action kicked off after an impeccably observed minute’s silence on Remembrance weekend, and the first chances fell to Morecambe’s Paul Mullin, who drilled straight at Jamal Blackman after Cole Stockton cut in well from the left, before chipping over from 25 yards as he raced on to a through-ball.

Wycombe threatened when Luke O’Nien’s thunderous volley from a corner was blocked en route to goal, before Paris Cowan-Hall sent a header wide from a corner.

Then Adebayo Akinfenwa headed into the arms of visiting keeper Barry Roche and Aaron Pierre saw a shot blocked from close-range after Joe Jacobson’s free-kick had sparked panic, while Luke O’Nien’s free-kick from a dangerous position was repelled by the defensive wall.

Jacobson’s deliveries were hitting the mark each time and another superb cross from the left was met by the head of Akinfenwa, who sent his effort just wide of Roche’s left-hand post.

The game became more settled and even before the interval, and the visitors would have been happier to have been tied at 0-0 having been put on the back foot for much of the opening period.

But their defence was unlocked just three minutes into the second half, when another Jacobson delivery reached Aaron Pierre whose header was blocked but fell kindly for the defender to convert in front of the terrace, followed by the customary ‘dab’ celebration with his team-mates.

Morecambe came close to a quick reply when Michael Rose smashed a free-kick against the inside of the post from 20 yards, only to see it bounce to safety, before Luke O’Nien drilled wide when well-placed to meet Akinfenwa’s lay-off.

Shrimps boss Jim Bentley introduced pantomime villain Kevin Ellison into the fray just past the hour-mark, and his side were almost 2-0 down when Roche’s punch trickled just wide of his own goal after another delivery caused confusion in the area.

There were two more changes when Aaron WIldig and Paul Mullin made way for Lee Molyneux and Jack Dunn, but chances kept falling the way of the Chairboys, who came close again when Matt Bloomfield fired just wide of the near post from Paul Hayes’s clever reverse pass.

The second goal came with just eight minutes of normal time remaining, and it was Luke O’Nien who nodded home from Paris Cowan-Hall’s dinked cross to spark jubilant scenes around Adams Park, all but sealing the three points for the hosts.

Cowan-Hall almost had a goal for himself moments later, surging forward before unleashing a strike which looped off the foot of the defender and hit the top of the crossbar with the keeper beaten.

O’Nien headed at Roche from the corner and Cole Stockton drilled wide in stoppage time, but there was no way back for the Shrimps as Wycombe made it four home wins from their last five in the league, ahead of back-to-back away games at Cambridge and Newport.

Advertisement block