Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 2-0 Hartlepool

26 November 2016

Report: Wycombe 2-0 Hartlepool

It was a day to remember for Scott Kashket and the Chairboys with the striker bagging a brace ensuring a fourth successive victory. 

A strong first half performance was rewarded with Kashket's 23rd minute goal and aside from a couple of Hartlepool attacks, the Chairboys were untroubled for much of the game. The three points were sealed deep into the second half on 80 minutes with Kashket bagging his second and securing a sixth goal in as many home matches. 

Gareth Ainsworth will be a happy manager tonight with his side showing dominance and strength throughout the 90 minutes to continue what is a strong run of form for the Chairboys 


Gareth Ainsworth's men came into today's match looking for a fourth straight victory and to continue their strong form in front of the home supporters. There were three changes to the side that defeated Newport 1-0 in midweek with Jombati, Bean and Cowan-Hall (injury) replaced by Harriman, Gape and Kashket. 

A crisp November afternoon saw the Chairboys kick things off looking to make it four straight victories in the league but it was the visitors who begun on the front foot with James Martin slipping a low cross across the face of goal. It wasn't long before Wycombe found their feet however and Scott Kashket almost had the home crowd on their feet stealing possession inside the box but his eventual shot could only strike the side netting. Adebayo Akinfenwa came close with a header soon after from a deep cross and Hartlepool reacted with their own attempt at goal from Lewis Alessandra but it was comfortable for Jamal Blackman in the Wycombe goal. 

Wycombe were playing well, pressure was mounting on the visitors and the deadlock was broken on 23 minutes through the lively Scott Kashket. Some good forward play from Luke O'Nien found the 20 year-old with a searching pass inside the box and Kashket made no mistake with a well placed shot beyond Trevor Carson to make it 1-0. That was a fifth goal in six home appearances for Kashket and a perfect start to the game for the Chairboys. 

Wycombe weren't resting on their laurels as half-time approached and they came close on a number of occasions through Kashket, Pierre and Akinfenwa following a succession of corners but Gareth Ainsworth would have been happy at the break. 

The Chairboys knew a 1-0 lead can always prove fragile but they started the second half on a solid footing but a first glimmer of goal didn't really come until the 57th minute with Akinfenwa putting his header wide of the goal. Minutes later and the home crowd were calling for a spot kick having watched Kaskhet go down inside the box but the referee showed no hesitation in waving the appeals away. 

Adebayo Akinfenwa was a menace throughout for the game and the big striker almost got himself on the scoresheet had it not been for the woodwork denying his low strike at goal. Hartlepool briefly showed glimpses of their attacking prowess during the second half with Michael Woods coming closest with a wayward drive but Wycombe were firmly controlling. 

The Chairboys were rewarded for that control on 80 minutes with Scott Kashket finding his way through on goal and slipping it beyond Carson to make it 2-0 securing all three points for the dominant Chairboys.

Four successive victories, up to sixth in league table and a manager very vocal in his pride. Up next? The FA Cup... 

By James Brown

Advertisement block