Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Accrington 1-1 Wycombe

16 March 2016

Garry Thompson's second-half strike earned a well-deserved point at the Wham Stadium as Wanderers came from behind to draw with Accrington.

Stanley broke the deadlock at the end of an even first half when Shay McCartan raced through to beat Ryan Allsop from close range, but Thompson reacted quickest to a loose ball to smash home his eighth goal of the season to earn a share of the spoils.

Gareth Ainsworth kept faith with the same side that defeated Stevenage at the weekend, which meant the Chairboys adopted a bold three-pronged attack with Garry Thompson, Paul Hayes and Rowan Liburd all looking to puncture the home defence.

Stanley had scored in every previous home game this season and registered the first shot on goal on three minutes when Adam Buxton’s low daisy-cutter from distance was comfortably held by Ryan Allsop, before Joe Jacobson fired over the bar at the end of a spell which saw the ball nicked off Rowan Liburd’s toes in the box and Michael Harriman’s shot blocked at source.

Neither keeper was troubled during the opening spell which produced only half-chances, with the visitors rushing a couple of shots from distance rather than picking a killer pass, while Stanley’s attempts at slick passing football were being cut out by the away defence without too much difficulty.

The game almost sprang to life when a long ball by Wycombe was misjudged by the defence and keeper, providing Luke O’Nien and Rowan Liburd with a chance to capitalise. An initial shot was blocked by Tom Davies before Liburd skipped past the outstretched leg of keeper Etheridge, only for Garry Thompson’s follow-up shot to be blocked behind for a corner.

As Wanderers continued to improve, Matt Bloomfield cushioned a clever volley inches past the post with the keeper beaten after Michael Harriman’s lofted cross was cleared out to him, while Scott Brown’s blocked shot and Matty Pearson’s header wide suggested Stanley were beginning to grow into the game before the interval.

And they took the lead in stoppage time when Wanderers squandered possession on the halfway line and a through-ball set Shay McCartan through on goal, with the Irishman keeping his cool to dink it over the onrushing Ryan Allsop and into the net.

The Blues protested for an offside decision but the goal stood to give Stanley a half-time lead, which they looked like building on during a promising start to the second period.

Gareth Ainsworth looked to turn the tide by bringing on Gozie Ugwu for Rowan Liburd on 55 minutes, although only a vital clearance from Jason McCarthy prevented Billy Kee from tapping in a second goal from a dangerous cross, before Allsop held Matty Pearson’s shot from distance.

But finally for the first time in over a month, an away team found an equalising goal as Garry Thompson made it 1-1 on 62 minutes. Gozie Ugwu’s speculative effort from distance bounced into his path and Thompson showed superb pace to get on the end of it and bury it in front of the 142 travelling away fans.

All of a sudden the tempo of the game had picked up and Stanley almost regained the lead three minutes later when a cross into the box bounced kindly for Piero Mingoia six yards out, only for Allsop to block it from point blank range.

Luke O’Nien’s powerful shot was blocked inside the areas with 20 minutes remaining, while Billy Kee missed the target as he met a cross from the right with a header.

Back came Wycombe, who were enjoying their strongest spell of the game at just the right time with Gozie Ugwu spearheading the attack impressively since coming off the bench. A spell of pinball almost brought about a calamitous goal in Wanderers’ favour, with a clearance rebounding off O’Nien but landing behind.

But there was to be no further goalmouth action as the referee called time on the game, which ended in a 1-1 draw for the third consecutive visit to Accrington.

Wycombe: Allsop, McCarthy, Jacobson, Stewart, Pierre, Harriman, O’Nien, Bloomfield, Thompson (Bean 78), Hayes, Liburd (Ugwu 55).

Unused subs: Richardson, Jombati, Sellers, Wood, McGinn.

Accrington: Etheridge, Pearson, Buxton (Halliday 42), Davies, Hughes, Mingoia, Brown (Procter 82), Conneely, McConville (Shaw 82), McCartan, Kee.

Unused subs: Mooney, Barry, Carver, Boco.

Referee: Mr Paul Tierney

Attendance: 1,403 (142 from Wycombe)

Advertisement block