Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Maidenhead 1-4 Wycombe

30 July 2016

Garry Thompson, Luke O'Nien (two) and Sam Wood were on the scoresheet to give the Blues a comprehensive win to round off their pre-season campaign.

National League South side Maidenhead took a surprise lead when Dave Tarpey found the net from Sean Marks' flick-on, but after Thompson levelled from Danny Rowe's cross, it was virtually one-way traffic from there on in.

O'Nien made it 2-1 with a crisp drive from outside the box before the midfielder added his second, picking up on a loose ball to beat the keeper.

Wanderers saved the best til last, when Sam Wood's piledriver from 30 yards found the top corner to end any resistance from the hosts.

Thompson flashed a header wide from Myles Weston’s cross inside four minutes before Danny Rowe fizzed a shot over the bar as the visitors began on the front foot, but a goal from nothing put the visitors in front as Sean Marks flicked on a long ball and Dave Tarpey got the right side of his marker to lash past Scott Brown.

A brave block from Joe Jacobson denied Tarpey a second after the Blues failed to clear their lines following a corner, before Wanderers earned their equaliser through Garry Thompson when Danny Rowe’s cross found its way into the striker’s path.

Myles Weston drove into the box and had a shot blocked before Luke O’Nien made it 2-1 with a superb low drive from 25 yards, beating the keeper on its way to the bottom corner on 31 minutes.

Danny Rowe was then pole-axed by a poor tackle from Ryan Upward, prompting Gareth Ainsworth into his first change as Sam Wood came into the midfield.

Wanderers finished the half on top and brought on Adebayo Akinfenwa and Sido Jombati at the break, replacing Garry Thompson and Michael Harriman, before Joe Jacobson curled a free-kick just wide of the post after the restart.

Jacobson was involved in the Blues’ third goal when his cross from the left bounced kindly for O’Nien with his marker going the wrong way, and the midfielder converted with a composed left-footed finish.

Scott Brown was called into action soon after to keep out Tarpey’s drive towards the bottom corner, but his opposite number had no chance with the Wanderers’ fourth, which came courtesy of a screamer from Sam Wood. The midfielder received a free-kick via a short pass and unleashed an unstoppable effort into the top corner from 30 yards.

Adebayo Akinfenwa came close with two headers with the visitors well on top at this point, before Myles Weston was denied by a last-gasp tackle as he raced into the area to meet Akinfenwa’s pinpoint through-ball.

Weston went close again with a header before Matt Bloomfield pulled his shot just wide of the far post, and Sam Wood almost made it 5-1 late on with a volley which crashed against the bar from Akinfenwa’s assist.

That concludes the pre-season regime – now it’s all eyes on Crawley next weekend at the start of the league campaign.

Wycombe: Brown, Harriman (Jombati 45), Jacobson, De Havilland, Stewart, Rowe (Wood 36), O’Nien (Bloomfield 65), Bean (McGinn 65), Weston, Thompson (Akinfenwa 45), Southwell (Freeman 60).

Subs: Richardson.

Advertisement block