Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wycombe 0-2 Leyton Orient

23 January 2016

Wanderers' return to league action ended in defeat as Leyton Orient left Adams Park with all three points.

Jay Simpson fired home early in the second half and Calaum Jahraldo poked home late on to grant a victory to new Orient boss Kevin Nolan in his first game in charge.

Following the news of Matt Ingram’s departure to Queens Park Rangers 18 hours earlier, there was a new era between the posts as Alex Lynch came into the side looking to secure the first-team spot on a permanent basis.

There was also a recall to the side for Sido Jombati at right-back as Jason McCarthy moved into a more advanced central midfield role, while the returning Paris Cowan-Hall started his loan spell on the bench having signed that morning.

Orient’s new player-manager named himself on the bench and watched on as the hosts edged what was a relatively quiet opening, seeing Garry Thompson and Sam Wood fire over from distance.

Thompson blocked Ollie Palmer’s header at the other end after the Orient striker had peeled away at the back post from a deep free-kick, before the game entered a real lull with the defences comfortably on top.

Palmer glanced a header wide from a free-kick before Luke O’Nien looked to have been tugged back inside the area just as he was set to shoot, but the referee rejected the appeals for a penalty to the disbelief of O’Nien and his manager.

Calaum Jahraldo drilled over the bar after Orient’s best passing move of the game as they came on stronger at the end of the half, but the first period ended with zero shots on target for either side.

Jay Simpson saw a shot blocked from Palmer’s knockdown early in the second half as Orient upped the tempo, before injury forced Paul Hayes to leave the field with Cowan-Hall coming on for his second Chairboys debut.

He and Michael Harriman combined well down the right as the newcomer looked to inject fresh life into the Wycombe attack, but the breakthrough was made at the other end when Jay Simpson was left all alone in the box to smash home his 21st goal of the season from eight yards, leaving Lynch with no chance.

Gareth Ainsworth responded by replacing Garry Thompson with Gozie Ugwu in attack, but chances were hard to come by against a resolute Orient defence well marshalled by the returning captain Mathieu Baudry.

Cowan-Hall’s inventive play looked to be Wanderers’ best hope of a comeback and he delivered a succession of testing crosses, but the visitors stood firm.

Anthony Stewart saw a goalbound header cleared by Bradley Pritchard before Jermaine Udumaga replaced Michael Harriman in one last throw of the dice from the bench.

But despite a series of testing balls into the visitors' box, Wycombe knew their fate was sealed when Calaum Jahraldo broke into the box late on and converted past Lynch.

Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Stewart, Pierre, Harriman (Udumaga 84), McCarthy, O’Nien, Wood, Thompson (Ugwu 71), Hayes (Cowan-Hall 57).

Unused subs: Richardson, McGinn, Bean, Kretzschmar.

Orient: Cisak, Clohessy, Shaw, Essam, Baudry, Jahraldo, Payne, Atangana (Pritchard 72), McAnuff, Palmer (Gnanduillet 80), Simpson.

Unused subs: Grainger, Turgott, Kashket, Kpekawa, Nolan.

Referee: Mr D Bond

Attendance: 4,432 (805 from Orient)

WInning 50/50 Draw Numbers:
Blue £1 – 00614
Prize Money - £500.00

Orange £2 – 12506
Prize Money: £182.00

Advertisement block