Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Plymouth 3-3 Wycombe

26 December 2016

Report: Plymouth 3-3 Wycombe

Wanderers extended their unbeaten run by coming back from 3-1 down to earn a point at the league leaders on a dramatic Boxing Day at Adams Park.

The game started late due to long queues outside the stadium and the action was worth the wait, with Scott Kashket netting his 12th goal in 13 appearances for the Wanderers, before the Pilgrims bit back.

Goals from Jordan Slew and Jake Jervis put the hosts in front at the break and Yann Songo'o's goal soon after the interval should have put them out of sight.

But Gareth Ainsworth's men showed terrific character to work their way back into contention, and home fans' nerves were frayed when Adebayo Akinfenwa converted Joe Jacobson's cross to set up a grandstand finale.

Myles Weston duly delivered, netting his first goal for the club when Akinfenwa controlled a long ball and teed up Paris Cowan-Hall, who laid on the assist against his former club with Weston curling the ball beautifully into the top corner.

Ainsworth had recalled Akinfenwa to the side following his one-match suspension, while Argyle also made one change to their starting line-up, with Arnold Garita replacing Craig Tanner in attack.

The game began brightly, setting the tone for what was to come, with Slew heading over from a Jervis cross and Michael Harriman drilling wide on his left foot.

The opener came nine minutes in, when Graham Carey misplaced a pass and Matt Bloomfield slid it through to Akinfenwa, who in turn set Kashket free to convert confidently past Luke McCormick.

Argyle were almost level within two minutes when Connor Smith bent a shot against the post, but their pressure told when Slew was found unmarked in the area and his low shot cannoned off the heels of Jamal Blackman and squirmed over the line.

Wanderers were then dealt a blow when Harriman was forced off on a stretcher after picking up a groin injury, and Plymouth continued to attack on the front foot, with Carey firing just wide before Jervis put them in front.

Garita got away from Jacobson down the right wing and took his time to place a precise pass in front of the onrushing Jervis, who bundled home from close range.

Wycombe had always been in the game though, with Akinfenwa hitting the post from a corner, while Dominic Gape drilled just wide in the first period, giving them hope of a second-half revival.

Those hopes took a blow 11 minutes into the second half when Songo'o forced the ball home from a corner, somehow throwing himself at the delivery and making contact with the ball - contact which Wycombe claimed came via his arm, but their appeals to the referee were in vain.

Instead they turned their attentions to mounting a comeback, and it began when Jacobson was given time to deliver a wicked cross from the left wing and Akinfenwa brushed off his marker to sidefoot the ball home.

An end-to-end encounter gathered pace with a series of testing Jacobson deliveries which were well dealt with by the Argyle defence, while Blackman made an important save from Carey and then Garita hit the bar following a low cross from the right.

Matt Bloomfield saw a shot cleared off the line from Cowan-Hall's lay-off and Gape volleyed over, before Ainsworth introduced Weston and Garry Thompson from the bench.

Weston was to make himself the hero, striking the ball past McCormick first-time from Cowan-Hall's pass as the clock struck 90, and both sides could sense a winner in the four minutes of stoppage time. Argyle came closest, with Blackman making a smart save from Slew, but in the end the honours were shared to continue both sides' strong runs of form.

Advertisement block