Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Notts County 0-2 Wycombe

10 December 2016

Report: Notts County 0-2 Wycombe

Adebayo Akinfenwa and Scott Kashket goals sealed a 2-0 win for Wycombe against Notts County this afternoon to seal a seventh win on the spin.

Akinfenwa powered home a superb first-half header and Kashket doubled the lead to finish off a flowing move to seal a brilliant win in a thoroughly professional performance.

Michael O'Connor was sent off for the home side just before half time following a challenge on Paris Cowan-Hall, and Akinfenwa was also sent off for two yellow cards while Notts manager John Sheridan was sent to the stands.

Gareth Ainsworth made nine changes from the side which beat Millwall in the Checkatrade Trophy on Wednesday night, and one from the side which cruised into the third round of the FA Cup at Chesterfield as Paul Hayes missed out through injury, so Paris Cowan-Hall came into the starting line-up.

The in-form Scott Kashket nearly found a way through in the opening minute but he couldn’t control Matt Bloomfield’s through ball as the match started in a scrappy manner.

The home side started to come into the match after quarter of an hour. Matt Tootle played a one-two with Adam Campbell before firing wide from the edge of the box and a superb effort from Jon Stead flashed narrowly wide of the far post with Jamal Blackman beaten.

County aimed to play the ball forward quickly and capitalised on some hesitancy in the Wycombe defence to create a couple of openings, with Jonathan Forte putting the ball in the back of the net on 28 only to see the offside flag raised.

The Chairboys bounced back and started to create a few openings of their own. Kashket dribbled the ball from 30 yards out and jinked past a couple of challenges before his shot was deflected agonisingly wide, and a last-ditch challenge from Richard Duffy denied Matt Bloomfield when through on goal.

Unlike County, the Blues were able to capitalise on their pressure and a superb Akinfenwa header put them in front on 37 minutes.

Joe Jacobson hit a delightful delivery from the left straight on to the big man’s head and he effortlessly powered an effort into the far corner and past the outstretched dive of Adam Collin.

The Chairboys were on top for the remainder of the half and things went from bad to worse for County as captain O’Connor was shown his marching orders in added time.

A fifty-fifty tackle between the captain and Paris Cowan-Hall led to the Notts man coming off worse, but after a discussion with his fourth official, referee Eddie Ilderton flourished a red card to the stricken O’Connor as he received treatment.

Wycombe started the second half on the front foot and nearly doubled the lead through Bloomfield as he latched onto Akinfenwa’s through ball but Collin blocked his effort.

But the County keeper could do nothing to prevent Kashket from making it 2-0 as he finished off a great move on 55.

Akinfenwa showed great strength to hold off a defender and flick the ball towards Cowan-Hall who showed great desire to get in front of Hollis. He shrugged off the challenge to find himself one-on-one with Collin and unselfishly squared for Kashket to tap home into an empty net.

The goal triggered an angry reaction from the County camp as they felt there was a foul in the build-up, but manager John Sheridan protested too much and was sent to the stands.

The second goal took the sting out of the game as County looked beaten. Akinfenwa had a couple of efforts, first a header and then a strike from distance but both straight at Collin.

Akinfenwa, who had picked up a yellow card in the first half for persistent fouling, was given no further chances by referee Ilderton and was given his marching orders on 77 after clattering Duffy in an aerial challenge.

That red card seemed to galvanize the home side momentarily, but Wanderers were able to see the game out to seal another away win and a seventh win on the trot.

Advertisement block