Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Chesterfield 0-5 Wycombe

3 December 2016

Report: Chesterfield 0-5 Wycombe

Wanderers demolished League 1 side Chesterfield with a five-star performance to book their place in the third round of the Emirates FA Cup.

First-half goals from Paul Hayes and Scott Kashket set them on the right path and the hosts collapsed after midfielder Jon Nolan was sent off, with Kashket going on to complete a memorable hat-trick whilst Anthony Stewart also added his name to the scoresheet.

Gareth Ainsworth named the same side that defeated Hartlepool in the league last weekend, although Paris Cowan-Hall returned from injury to take a place on the bench.

The tone for the first half was set inside 12 seconds when Scott Kashket was too quick for the home defence and won a free-kick which Joe Jacobson curled narrowly wide, and there was a handball shout when Adebayo Akinfenwa’s dinked pass in the box was blocked by an arm but the referee waved the appeals away.

The Spireites had threatened at the other end when Ian Evatt spurned an opportunity to test the keeper, instead sending a weak free header into the arms of Jamal Blackman, before his opposite number Ryan Fulton was called upon to make a superb save to tip away Luke O’Nien’s curling effort from 20 yards.

But Wanderers didn’t have to wait long for the breakthrough, and it came when Kashket reacted quickest to keep the ball alive from a deep free-kick and his cross was glanced home by captain Paul Hayes, who saw his header bounce off the underside of the crossbar and over the line.

The advantage was doubled within three minutes, and this time it was Kashket on the scoreline having played his part in the build-up which saw Akinfenwa’s spinning shot deflected behind for a corner. Jacobson’s initial delivery was cleared but Dominic Gape returned the ball into the box and although Anthony Stewart couldn’t get his shot away, Kashket made no mistake in rifling home his seventh goal of the campaign.

Wycombe were in dreamland, and Chesterfield boss Danny Wilson reacted immediately by bringing star striker Ched Evans off the bench, with his arrival sparking a mini improvement from the hosts, although Blackman remained relatively untroubled before the break.

It was important to ride the storm of any second-half onslaught from the hosts and the Blues did just that, even looking the more likely to extend their lead. Paul Hayes side-footed over the bar at the end of a slick move involving Aaron Pierre and Matt Bloomfield, and Jacobson curled another free-kick narrowly wide after Bloomfield was fouled.

Evans created a rare chance for himself, drilling at the near post only to see Jamal Blackman to make a routine save, before Chesterfield were reduced to ten men when Jon Nolan was shown a straight red card for a foul on Dominic Gape.

Hayes volleyed wide from Akinfenwa’s lay-off before the third goal came courtesy of a cool Kashket finish, meeting a through-ball to tuck it past the keeper, and he was denied his hat-trick when Fulton made a smart block to keep out his shot from Akinfenwa’s clever disguised cross.

Captain Hayes was also thwarted but from the resulting corner, Fulton dropped the ball into the path of Anthony Stewart, who rifled a volley through a crowd of players and into the net to make it 4-0.

Boos rang out from the home fans and all that was left was to see whether Kashket could cap his week with the hat-trick… and he duly obliged. A long bouncing ball caught out defender Gary Liddle and Kashket capitalised to carry it into the area and tuck home for the fifth of the game.

Substitute Sam Wood twice came close to adding a sixth, but Chesterfield were put out of their misery by the full-time whistle as Wanderers left the field rejoicing in another job well done.

Advertisement block