Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Cheltenham 0-1 Wycombe

30 December 2016

Report: Cheltenham 0-1 Wycombe

Scott Kashket struck early on before the Wanderers' defensive rearguard performed their usual heroics to extend the unbeaten run and secure another three points for the Chairboys.

Gareth Ainsworth made two enforced changes to his side on his 200th league game in charge of the Chairboys and there were returns to Whaddon Road for former Robins pair Scott Brown and Sido Jombati, who took the places of the injured Jamal Blackman and Michael Harriman.

The first chance of the game brought about the first goal and there was more than an air of inevitability about it with Scott Kashket drilling home his 13th strike of the season, collecting Adebayo Akinfenwa's lay-off with the most crisp of shots into the bottom corner.

Matt Bloomfield then looped a header just over the bar after Town struggled to deal with Joe Jacobson's corner, before the hosts began to threaten with balls into the box from set pieces, although Wanderers held firm.

Then Joe Jacobson volleyed narrowly wide with a right-footed effort from another Akinfenwa knockdown, and the Chairboys were then denied two penalties in quick succession, firstly when Scott Kashket was booked for simulation when he appeared to have been brought down by the keeper, and then when Aaron Downes slapped the ball away with a raised arm only for a corner to be given.

Dan Holman had a rare chance for the Robins before the interval, rippling the side netting with a shot on the turn, before boss Gary Johnson introduced James Dayton for Kyle Storer at half-time.

Moments after the break, Harry Pell glanced a header over the bar from a well-delivered corner, before a set-piece at the other end landed at the feet of Adebayo Akinfenwa but he was unable to get his shot away as he turned.

Aaron Pierre made a vital clearance as James Rowe's free-kick looked to be landing on target and at the other end, Kashket's snap-shot from Akinfenwa's pass was well held at the near post by Russell Griffiths.

A flurry of substitutions added new life into the game and after Harry Pell curled over the bar from 25 yards, Myles Weston let fly from a similar range, only to see it bounce a yard wide.

Then Scott Brown was called upon to make two important saves, one from an acrobatic effort from substitute Amari Morgan-Smith, and Jack Barthram saw a low drive blocked as the game entered the final five minutes.

It was kitchen sink time from the hosts, but Brown made more vital interventions to keep out James Dayton and Rob Dickie to ensure it was a happy New Year indeed for the Chairboys.

Advertisement block