Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wycombe 2-1 Grimsby

13 August 2016

Anthony Stewart’s injury time winner secured Wycombe’s first points of the season as they defeated Grimsby Town at Adams Park.

The centre half was quickest to react after the ball struck the post to fire home and secure a 2-1 win.

Sido Jombati had given Wycombe the lead with a superb free kick early in the second half. Andrew Boyce equalised for the Mariners but Stewart had the final say with his last gasp winner.

Gareth Ainsworth made two changes to the side which lost to Bristol City in the EFL Cup on Tuesday, with Aaron Pierre and Garry Thompson coming in for Will De Havilland and Adebayo Akinfenwa.

The game opened with both sides having a string of corners. Wanderers defended theirs and the returning Pierre had two glancing efforts which he couldn’t direct goalwards.

Joe Jacobson’s left foot troubled James McKeown in the Grimsby goal on 13 minutes as he hit a free kick which the keeper was forced to push away, but the game had very limited openings as both sides tried to find the opening goal.

Wanderers came out of the blocks at the start of the second half, pinning the Mariners in their own half. Thompson had the game’s first real chance when he expertly brought down a lofted ball from Stephen McGinn, before shimmying past a defender and firing his shot wide.

The early pressure and great support from the home crowd led to the breakthrough goal on 55 minutes and what a strike it was.

Joe Jacobson was fouled on the edge of the Grimsby penalty area, and up stepped Sido Jombati to nonchalantly clip the ball over the wall and past a motionless McKeown.

The visitors nearly hit back though just after the hour mark, a Josh Gowling header was clawed away by Cameron Dawson in the Wycombe goal, and the stopper made a smart save to deny James Berrett’s drive from the edge of the box.

Tom Bolarinwa nearly found the bottom corner on 70 as the Mariners went in search of an equaliser, and they weren’t to be denied for long as they found the equaliser on 79 minutes.

Andrew Boyce made it 1-1 after the Blues failed to clear a corner. The defender was able to turn in the area and hit an effort into the far corner just out of Dawson’s reach.

Wycombe came forward again, looking to retake the lead and Garry Thompson was superbly denied by McKeown on 84 as he bore down on goal, with the forward’s lobbed effort tipped wide and into the side netting.

And as the game entered injury time, the Chairboys found the winner as Anthony Stewart pounced after the ball hit both posts to smash the ball home and seal the three points.

A long throw in from Garry Thompson was flicked goalwards by Akinfenwa, on earlier for Southwell, and his header hit the far post, bounced across the line and struck the other upright before Stewart made sure.

The first home game of the season produced three points and a good performance as the Chairboys aim to take that forward into Tuesday night’s clash with Accrington.

Wycombe: Dawson, Jombati, Jacobson, Stewart, Pierre, Harriman, Bloomfield (Freeman 87), McGinn (Rowe 74), Wood, Thompson, Southwell (Akinfenwa 64)
Unused subs: Richardson, Bean, De Havilland

Grimsby: McKeown, Davies, Andrew, Gowling, Boyce, McAllister (Chambers 74), Berrett, Summerfield, Jackson, Vernon (Bogle 70), Bolarinwa (Browne 89)
Unused subs: Warrington, Pearson, Vose, Jones

Attendance: 3,686
Away: 697

Advertisement block