Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wycombe 0-1 Accrington

30 April 2016

Mark Hughes' second-half goal sent Wanderers to defeat in the final home game of the season on Saturday afternoon.

The visitors - needing a win to keep their automatic promotion hopes in their own hands - were denied on several occasions in the first half by debutant keeper Ben Siegrist.

However they collected all three points courtesy of Hughes, who found himself in the right place at the right time to send the ball over the line after Siegrist had kept out Josh Windass' free-kick.

Gareth Ainsworth handed a debut to Aston Villa loanee Benjamin Siegrist in goal while Garry Thompson returned in attack, replacing Gozie Ugwu.

Wanderers began brightly and almost scored three minutes in when Aaron Pierre stayed forward from a free-kick and chested a diagonal ball down before volleying over under pressure from the covering defender.

Stanley grew into the game and saw Tariqe Fosu’s shot blocked before the visitors had a penalty shout as the ball rebounded to Fosu and he went down inside the area under a challenge from Michael Harriman, but there was no foul given.

Back came Wycombe and Michael Harriman fired wide as he stretched to meet Paul Hayes’ low cross from the left, before Siegrist was called upon to make his first save on 21 minutes and it was an impressive one, getting down quickly to keep out Josh Windass’ effort after the attacker had wriggled his way into a shooting chance.

Then Fosu lashed goalwards from 20 yards and his swerving effort looked destined for the net before Siegrist took flight to deny him, and the best chance of the game came when Stanley broke away three-on-three but Brad Halliday could only shoot wide as Fosu fed him inside the area with Siegrist bearing down.

Then the Swiss keeper got two strong palms to prevent Josh Windass from scoring with a well-hit strike from 20 yards, before Anthony Stewart’s well-struck volley at the other end was diverted wide for a corner.

Siegrist made routine saves from Matty Pearson and Fosu before the interval while Garry Thompson’s left-footed volley looped over the bar when Paul Hayes picked him out in the box.

The second half started quietly although Stanley had another penalty appeal waved away when Windass went to ground, and they should have gone ahead when Matty Pearson dived in to meet a free-kick but could only send his header wide from six yards.

Paul Hayes almost wrote himself into contention for the Goal of the Season award with a sublime effort towards the top corner after some juggling skills to evade his man, but saw the ball fizz a yard too high and wide of the goalframe.

Then Michael Harriman came close when a deep cross picked him out at the back post and he did enough to bring it down and beat his man, but the keeper fell on the loose ball to end the threat.

Accrington had offered little in the second period but made the breakthrough on 78 minutes when Mark Hughes prodded home from close range. Josh Windass’ exquisite free-kick was tipped onto the post by Siegrist but the ball fell kindly for the Stanley centre-back to force it in, despite the best efforts of Jason McCarthy on the line.

Then, having come to life, Stanley almost had a second when Brad Halliday’s shot was blocked from Billy Kee’s lay-off, before they retreated to protect their lead in the closing stages.

Four minutes of stoppage time came and went with no further incident, meaning Accrington will be promoted as long as they match Bristol Rovers' scoreline next week, while Wanderers will look to finish the season with a positive result at Oxford.

Wycombe: Siegrist, McCarthy, Jombati, Stewart, Pierre, Harriman (Kretzschmar 87), Bean, Rowe, Sellars (Sellers 87), Hayes, Thompson (Ugwu 71).

Unused subs: Allsop, McGinn, Sellers, Kretzschmar, Liburd.

Accrington: Etheridge, Pearson, Buxton, Hughes, Davies, Mingoia (McCartan 77), Halliday, Conneely, Fosu, Windass, Kee.

Unused subs: Mooney, Winnard, Brown, Boco, McConville, Gornell.

Referee: Mr Michael Bull

Attendance: 4,041 (584 from Accrington)

Blue £1 50/50 Draw Winning Number: 15300
Prize Money: £644.00

Orange £2 50/50 Draw Winning Number: 19109
Prize Money: £41.00

Advertisement block