Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wycombe 1-0 Cambridge

29 September 2015

Wanderers sit top of League 2 thanks to Michael Harriman's stunner against 10-man Cambridge United.

After a quiet start, the match sprang to life when United keeper Chris Dunn was shown a red card for bringing down Gozie Ugwu inside the area, but sub keeper Sam Beasant kept out Garry Thompson's spot-kick.

But Harriman won it with a stunning strike from long-range, although the midfielder's night was ended early by an injury leaving his team-mates to see out the result without him.

A settled start to the game resulted in few chances, with Joe Jacobson curling an early free-kick over the bar before Aaron Amadi-Holloway’s teasing header was cleared from under the nose of Luke O’Nien just as the midfielder was poised to nod home his first goal for the club.

Stephen McGinn then fired over from Gozie Ugwu’s knockdown following Michael Harriman’s inviting cross, before Garry Thompson steered a volley a couple of yards too high from another Harriman delivery.

It took 40 minutes for either keeper to be forced into a save and it was United keeper Chris Dunn who needed to be alert at his near post to palm away Harriman’s powerful drive, while Ugwu’s deflected shot looped over the bar moments before.

Robbie Simpson had a great chance just after the interval, heading wastefully wide from Mickey Demetriou’s cross, before the game sprang to life with a red card for United keeper Chris Dunn for bringing down Gozie Ugwu just inside the area.

Garry Thompson was made to wait to take the kick as U’s prepared sub keeper Sam Beasant, and the new man made himself an instant hero by guessing correctly to keep out the striker’s spot-kick.

Beasant almost turned villain when he allowed Michael Harriman’s cross-shot to sail over his head and it hit the angle of crossbar and post, bouncing down to Marcus Bean whose header was saved. Moments later, the ball again fell to Bean in the box, and his snapshot smacked the woodwork and went over.

But if the Wanderers fans were fearing it wasn’t going to be their night, Michael Harriman had the answer. A free-kick was headed out to him 25 yards out and he met it with a crisp first-time shot which flew into the top corner, giving Beasant no chance.

Cambridge had used all their substitutions by this point and found it hard to carve open chances with Wanderers bossing possession, though the hosts didn’t particularly look like extending their lead either despite some clever play in the increasing spaces in the United half.

Substitute Matt Bloomfield had a sight of goal when Thompson laid Ugwu’s low cross into his path, but the midfielder’s shot flew wide, while Luke O’Nien’s belter from 30 yards rippled the side netting as the game entered five minutes of stoppage time.

Then Gozie Ugwu rolled a late shot into the keeper's arms under pressure, although Wycombe had Luke O'Nien and Joe Jacobson to thank for some brave defending to deny United in the box moments before.

But the final whistle sounded to secure Wanderers' top spot in League 2 thanks to Portsmouth's home defeat to Exeter, and made it seven points from a possible nine since the only defeat of the campaign so far to Plymouth.

Wycombe: Ingram, Harriman (Bloomfield 81), Jacobson, Jombati, Pierre, Bean, McGinn, O’Nien, Thompson, Ugwu, Amadi-Holloway (Rowe 90).

Unused subs: Lynch, Banton, Kretzschmar.

Cambridge: Dunn, Omozusi (Taylor 66), Demetriou, Roberts, Taft (Beasant 56), Legge, Berry, L Hughes, Dunk, Newton (Donaldson 66), Simpson.

Unused subs: Chiedozie, Gaffney, J Hughes, Morrissey.

Referee: Mr S Attwell

Attendance: 3,152 (295 from Cambridge)
Winning 50/50 Number (Blue £1): 1340
Prize Money: £496.50

Winning 50/50 Number (Orange £2): 1901
Prize Money: £72.00

Advertisement block