Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Leyton Orient 1-1 Wycombe

19 September 2015

Wanderers held league leaders Leyton Orient to a draw in an entertaining encounter in East London.

Matt Bloomfield scrambled the ball over the line to put the Blues ahead in the first half but Jay Simpson levelled matters after a mix-up in the visitors' backline.

Paul Hayes was absent as he continues to undergo treatment on his Achilles injury, joining Sam Wood and Anthony Stewart amongst the list of absentees, but Matt Bloomfield made his first appearance of the season as captain in a midfield four which also saw Stephen McGinn recalled to the starting line-up.

Garry Thompson saw plenty of the ball in the first few minutes and after his clever cross just missed the head of Gozie Ugwu, the veteran striker’s nonchalant effort sailed just over the bar from 25 yards.

The O’s created openings of their own and saw Sammy Moore drill over the bar before Jay Simpson’s header landed harmlessly wide, but generally it was the defences who were on top despite some clever attacking play from both sides.

Home keeper Alex Cisak had his heart in his mouth when Marcus Bean beat him to Joe Jacobson’s free-kick but Mathieu Baudry was in the right place to clear the loose ball from the goal-line.

But Cisak proved his worth just after the half-hour mark when he reacted quickly to a short backpass, blocking Thompson’s poked effort with his legs before turning Stephen McGinn’s follow-up behind. From the resulting corner, Aaron Pierre got up highest but saw his header saved on the line.

Orient went straight up the other end and worked the ball into the box superbly, but Dean Cox’s low cross was tipped away from Paul McCallum by the fingertips of Matt Ingram and Sammy Moore’s shot was deflected over.

However, it was Wycombe who went in ahead at the interval, and it came via the slightest of touches from Matt Bloomfield to finish off a move which started with Joe Jacobson’s exquisite cross, finding Gozie Ugwu who used his strength to turn it goalwards and the captain for the day ensured it crossed the line.

Wanderers finished the half strongly and the second period began with gusto, while Orient defender Sean Clohessy was lucky to escape a second yellow card for a foul on Joe Jacobson, before Paul McCallum lashed a rising volley over the bar from distance.

Aaron Pierre was then denied by the in-form CIsak after the centre-half was given time to control a cross from the left and get his shot away, before Dean Cox put a free header over the bar at the other end.

Sixty seconds of football then proved decisive as Wycombe had a glorious chance to make it 2-0 when Luke O’Nien headed Garry Thompson’s cross downward byt Ugwu couldn’t quite wrap his foot around it. Then, as Orient broke, Sido Jombati and Aaron Pierre failed to clear and lost the ball under pressure, resulting in Jay Simpson lashing home the leveller.

All of a sudden, the home fans began to rally their side on in the hope of completing the turnaround, and it was the Wanderers who were required to defend stoically under a series of attacks.

Simpson almost had his second goal when he collected a superb crossfield ball from Dean Cox but his low shot was kept out by the left boot of Ingram, while there was controversy in the closing stages when Matt Bloomfield was tripped in the box but the referee waved the appeals away despite the defender not winning the ball.

Then only a brave block by Jack Payne denied Stephen McGinn in the final minute of stoppage time as both sides settled for a point at the end of an absorbing affair.

Wycombe: Ingram, Harriman, Jacobson, Jombati, Pierre, Bean, Bloomfield (Kretzschmar 90), McGinn, O’Nien, Thompson (Amadi-Holloway 80), Ugwu.

Unused subs: Lynch, Donacien, Rowe, Sellers, Banton.

Orient: Cisak, Clohessy, Shaw, Essam, Baudry, James (Palmer 45), Moore, Cox, Payne, Simpson, McCallum (Turgott 56).

Unused subs: Grainger, Dunne, Kashket, Maguire, Moncur.

Referee: Mr J Linington.

Attendance: 5,946 (835 from Wycombe)

Advertisement block