Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Exeter 0-2 Wycombe

26 September 2015

Wanderers made it eight wins from their last nine visits to Devon with a superb 2-0 victory over Exeter City.

The Chairboys struggled to impose themselves in the first half but got the job done in the space of six minutes after the break, as Joe Jacobson curled home a free-kick before Garry Thompson completed a counter-attack with a thunderous finish.

No fresh injury worries gave Gareth Ainsworth the luxury of an unchanged side from the XI that drew 1-1 with league leaders Leyton Orient the previous weekend, while Janoi Donacien’s return to Aston Villa left them a man light on the bench.

The opening stages were quiet and even, with half-chances for Stephen McGinn and Joe Jacobson missing the target from distance. City’s best chance fell to David Wheeler, who saw the ball land at his feet from Jacobson’s brave clearing header, but the midfielder’s snapshot was met by a smart reaction save from Matt Ingram.

Then Jacobson attempted to cleverly sidefoot the ball into the bottom corner from 20 yards and his shot narrowly missed the post via a deflection, but the Grecians moved into the ascendancy when Will Hoskins volleyed wide and Joel Grant fired a great chance over the bar after a slick passing move.

Wycombe found it hard to break into the City box despite enjoying some good possession in the opposition’s half, and they were restricted to long-range efforts, one of which went just wide when Marcus Bean’s miscued volley had the keeper scrambling across his goal.

Grant had further openings which were blocked or missed the target in a stop-start first half, while the hosts felt aggrieved that Marcus Bean was only shown a yellow card for a foul before Troy Brown appealed in vain for a penalty.

Lee Holmes had a shot deflected wide inside the opening moments of the second period, but the opening goal came moments later when Luke O’Nien was fouled 20 yards out, and Joe Jacobson curled the free-kick exquisitely past Bobby Olejnik for his first goal of the season.

And the second came on the counter-attack but it was a mistake by Joel Grant which enabled Michael Harriman to collect the ball on halfway, feed Stephen McGinn and he was able to pick out Garry Thompson, who charged forwards into space and drilled the ball past the keeper, leaving him with no chance.

Paul Tisdale made three subs in quick succession in a bid to salvage something from the game and they enjoyed plenty of attacking territory, but the second goal looked to have taken the tempo out of the game as Wanderers defended resolutely to limit the hosts’ chances.

Matt Ingram made a smart save to palm away Tom Nichols’ curling shot as the game entered three minutes of stoppage time, before sub Ryan Sellers took a heavy blow to the head when blocking a free-kick which saw him leave the field on a stretcher.

There was no further action as Wanderers held on comfortably for another happy away day which sees them move to second in the table.

Wycombe: Ingram, Harriman, Jacobson, Jombati, Pierre, Bean, Bloomfield (Kretzschmar 70), McGinn, O’Nien (Sellers 90 (Rowe 90)), Thompson, Ugwu.

Unused subs: Lynch, Rowe, Banton, Amadi-Holloway.

Exeter: Olejnik, Ribeiro, Woodman (Morrison 63), Brown, Moore-Taylor, Wheeler, Oakley, Noble, Holmes, Grant (Nichols 66), Hoskins (Nicholls 66).

Unused subs: Pym, Oyeleke, McCready, Tillson.

Attendance: 3,639 (360 from Wycombe)

Referee: Mr S Martin

Advertisement block