Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wycombe 1-1 Carlisle

24 October 2015

Paul Hayes rescued a point with a 90th-minute goal against Carlisle United at Adams Park.

Luke Joyce saw red midway through the first half for a mistimed challenge on Sam Wood but Wanderers were unable to capitalise on what had been a bright start, and they were punished for slack marking after the break when Troy Archibald-Henville powered home a header from a corner.

However, the captain saved the day on his first start since early September with a clever flick into the net - and ran straight to celebrate with the physio who'd helped him back to full fitness after injury.

Gareth Ainsworth was able to recall Aaron Pierre, Sam Wood and Hayes to his starting line-up but there was an unusual change between the sticks, with Alex Lynch taking the place of the injured Matt Ingram.

Wanderers almost had the perfect start inside 10 seconds when United made a meal of a routine ball forward and Garry Thompson’s toe-poke was blocked into the path of Hayes, whose shot was cleared by David Atkinson in the nick of time.

Hayes then had a goal ruled out for offside from Thompson’s clever flick into his path, while Carlisle’s first chance came from Alex Gilliead but Aaron Pierre made himself big to deflect his drive over the bar.

The game was lively with Wanderers looking much improved from their midweek showing against Newport, and they were given a helping hand when Luke Joyce’s ugly tackle on Sam Wood earned him a red card midway through the half, sending the visitors down to 10 men.

United regrouped well and remained well-organised despite their numerical disadvantage, limiting the Chairboys’ opportunities to test the keeper, and in fact it was Lynch who was called into action to parry away Charlie Wyke’s sidefooted effort towards the near post.

And the Cumbrians were celebrating the opening goal just two minutes into the second period when Troy Archibald-Henville rose unchallenged to meet an inviting corner and thrash a header into the net.

Carlisle pressed Wycombe in all areas of the pitch to prevent anyone in a blue shirt from enjoying time on the ball to try to instigate a comeback, and it looked like it would need to be a set-piece to the damage, as Aaron Pierre was denied from close-range by Danny Grainger’s impressive block following a corner from the right.

Wanderers needed a late rally, and the noise from the fans grew when Marcus Bean crashed an effort against the bar from 20 yards, before Gozie Ugwu’s header towards the bottom corner was cleared by a defender with the keeper beaten.

It looked like being one of those days - until Hayes intervened as the clock struck 90, finding the net after Mark Gillespie couldn't clear Michael Harriman's cross.

Aaron Amadi-Holloway almost won it in stoppage time but saw his shot bend just past the post, but the losing run has come to an end and Blues will head north to Mansfield next Saturday with a spring in their step.

Wycombe: Lynch, Jombati, Jacobson, McCarthy (Sellers 85), Pierre, Harriman, Bean, O’Nien, Wood (Amadi-Holloway 67), Thompson (Ugwu 76), Hayes.

Unused subs: Richardson, McGinn, Bloomfield, Kretzschmar.

Carlisle: Gillespie, Atkinson, Archibald-Henville, Grainger, Joyce, Gilliead (Dicker 70), Kennedy, Hery, Sweeney, Wyke (Asamoah 78), Hope (Thompson 75).

Unused subs: Hanford, Rigg, Gillesphey, McQueen.

Referee: Mr R Lewis

Attendance: 3,457 (333 from Carlisle)

Winning 50/50 Draw Number (Blue £1): 1284
Prize Money: £579.50

Winning 50/50 Draw Number (Orange £2): 2311
Prize Money: £73

Advertisement block