Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wycombe 0-2 Newport

20 October 2015

Two second-half goals consigned Wanderers to defeat at home to Newport County on Tuesday night.

After a first half of few chances, County broke the deadlock when Marcus Bean inadvertently turned into his own net after Tommy O'Sullivan's powerful cross cannoned back off Jason McCarthy and into the midfielder.

Then Scott Boden sealed the win late on with a close-range finish, leaving Wanderers with the task of turning their form around on Saturday when Carlisle United visit Adams Park.

Gareth Ainsworth was able to recall Michael Harriman to the starting line-up after injury but Aaron Pierre dropped to the bench, meaning Sido Jombati started at centre-half alongside home debutant Jason McCarthy.

Wanderers fielded a three-pronged attack, just as they did against County boss John Sheridan’s former club Plymouth to great effect in last season’s play-offs, but there were no real goalscoring opportunities of any note in the opening stages as both defences coped comfortably with everything thrown at them.

It took 22 minutes to register the first shot on target and it was a comfortable save for Joe Day from Aaron Amadi-Holloway’s low drive from distance, and then Max Kretzschmar’s swerving free-kick was spilled by keeper Joe Day but he recovered just in time to smother the rebound.

Wycombe then upped the pressure by moving the ball about more quickly and created the best opening so far when a deep cross was nodded back across goal by Amadi-Holloway and Kretzschmar’s snapshot was blocked en route to goal.

Then Gozie Ugwu mistimed a header at the back post to send it wide from Joe Jacobson’s deep corner, before County threatened with a couple of set-pieces of their own, most notably when Lenell John-Lewis’s volley into the ground was deflected behind after a corner had found its way through a cluster of bodies.

John-Lewis headed wide before Garry Thompson’s thumping near post drive was tipped behind by Day at the end of the half, while the opening to the second period failed to inspire in the first 10 minutes, prompting Gareth Ainsworth to bring on Paul Hayes for his eagerly-awaited return from injury.

Joe Jacobson almost found the breakthrough in style when he waltzed forward, playing two one-twos with team-mates before firing at Day just as he was losing his footing in the box.

And then came a hammer blow when Wanderers failed to clear Tommy O’Sullivan’s deep free-kick and when the ball returned to the Cardiff loanee, he drilled it across the face of goal and saw it cannon off Jason McCarthy before hitting Marcus Bean and bouncing over the line.

Wycombe were shell-shocked and could have fallen further behind when Lenell John-Lewis drilled over before Zak Ansah’s powerful shot was parried away by Matt Ingram.

The hosts struggled to impose themselves after the goal and never really looked like testing Joe Day in the County goal, seeing half chances cleared from the visitors’ box.

And County wrapped up the points with two minutes left when a long punt from Day found its way through to substitute Scott Boden inside the area, who smashed home from close range for only County’s third away goal all season, but second of the night.

Wycombe: Ingram, Harriman, Jacobson, McCarthy, Jombati, Bean (McGinn 79), O’Nien, Kretzschmar (Wood 68), Amadi-Holloway, Ugwu (Hayes 54), Thompson.

Unused subs: Lynch, Pierre, Sellers, Bloomfield.

Newport: Day, Donacien, Bennett, Partridge, Barnum-Bobb, Barrow, Byrne, O’Sullivan (Klukowski 90), Elito, Ansah (Boden 75), John-Lewis.

Unused subs: Taylor (GK), Holmes, Taylor, Rodman, Collins.

Referee: Mr Fred Graham

Attendance: 2,940 (93 from Newport)

Winning 50/50 Number (Blue £1): 0100
Prize Money: £483.00

Winning 50/50 Number (Orange £2): 2352
Prize Money: £54.00

Advertisement block