Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Bristol Rovers 2-0 Wycombe

6 October 2015

Two early goals did the damage as Wanderers exited the Johnstone's Paint Trophy at the hands of Bristol Rovers.

The Pirates were two goals ahead inside 11 minutes as Matt Taylor curled home from 20 yards and Jermaine Easter netted against his former club from close range.

In a match of over 30 shots, there was plenty of free-flowing football but the Chairboys were unable to mount a comeback and now have 11 days to prepare for their next league game.

Gareth Ainsworth made five changes to the side that lost 3-2 to Northampton Town in the league at the weekend, handing starts to Matt Bloomfield, Sam Wood, Jason Banton, Ryan Sellers and Max Kretzschmar.

It took just four minutes for the deadline to be broken and it was Rovers striker Matty Taylor who bent home a superb effort from 20 yards when he was given far too much space as he collected Chris Lines’ forward pass.

Wanderers almost responded immediately when Aaron Pierre looped a header against the crossbar following Ryan Sellers’ long throw, and the ball bounced down to Matt Bloomfield who was denied from a tight angle by a brilliant block by home keeper Lee Nicholls.

Rovers then doubled their lead when Sido Jombati was unable to cut out Billy Bodin’s through-ball into the area and Jermaine Easter smashed home unchallenged from 10 yards.

Aaron Amadi-Holloway did superbly midway through the half to carry the ball forward some 70 yards, waltzing past a number of players before laying it off to Max Kretzschmar, but the youngster could only fire wide of the near post from just inside the area.

Then Jason Banton saw a shot blocked as he cut into the area from Stephen McGinn’s clever pass, before Billy Bodin blasted over after jinking it onto his left foot inside the area.

However, there was no further goalmouth action before the interval, leaving the Chairboys with an uphill struggle to salvage a run in the competition.

It was the Pirates who looked like getting the next goal, with Matt Ingram denying Cristian Montano and Billy Bodin inside the area, and then Tom Parkes charged through the defence and fired just wide under pressure from Sam Wood after receiving a one-two in his path.

Max Kretzschmar continued to battle hard in attack and he did superbly to beat his man and dig out a cross which was just too high for Aaron Amadi-Holloway at the back post, before Ingram made another save to deny Easter’s powerful drive at the other end.

Wycombe entered a bright spell and saw two shots from Banton blocked in quick succession, but Rovers regained composure and should have sealed it when Taylor was given a free header six yards out but could only direct the ball at Ingram.

The visitors attempted to find a spark to get themselves back in the game but found it hard to break through, with Luke O'Nien's dipping effort being held by the keeper with two minutes remaining.

Wycombe: Ingram, Rowe, Wood, Jombati, Pierre, Banton, Bloomfield, McGinn, Sellers (O’Nien 72), Kretzschmar (Jacobson 88), Amadi-Holloway (Thompson 88).

Unused subs: Lynch, Ugwu.

Rovers: Nicholls, Leadbitter, Brown, McChrystal, Parkes, Montano (Little 90), Lines, Sinclair (Clarke 73), Bodin, Taylor, Easter (Blissett 88).

Unused subs: Mildenhall, Kilgour.

Referee: Mr O Langford

Attendance: 3,243 (123 from Wycombe)

Advertisement block