Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Halifax 0-4 Wycombe

8 November 2015

Wycombe cruised into the second round of the Emirates FA Cup with a stylish 4-0 victory at National League side FC Halifax Town.

Garry Thompson put the League 2 Chairboys into an early lead and the Chairboys continued to create chances without being able to stretch their lead before the interval.

Keeper Matt Ingram made a series of fine saves when required but the damage was done at the other end when Sido Jombati added an exquisite second, Max Kretzschmar finished a counter-attack and fellow sub Aaron Amadi-Holloway finished calmly after bringing down a long pass in stoppage time.

Gareth Ainsworth made one change to his side with Matt Bloomfield taking the place of the injured Michael Harriman on the right of midfield, while Anthony Stewart returned to the bench six weeks ahead of schedule after a successful rehabilitation from a knee problem.

Wanderers started brightly and saw Joe Jacobson’s pile-driver blocked before Paul Hayes and Garry Thompson both got in behind the defence but saw the moves break down.

Sido Jombati was the first to hit the target when his left-footed drilled effort from the corner of the area landed safely in the arms of Russell Griffiths, and the right-back was then involved high up the pitch when Halifax sloppily lost possession and he and Thompson combined to tee up Hayes, who fired over.

The Shaymen’s casual attitude inside their own box cost them on 17 minutes when Wanderers took the lead, capitalising on a loose pass which allowed Luke O’Nien to deliver a cross which was nodded on and Thompson was there to steer home with the aid of a slight deflection.

Town didn’t learn their lesson and were caught out again outside their box, but Thompson could only drill his effort wide of the post as he latched on to the ball and unleashed a shot with his left foot.

However, Halifax did look creative at the other end and – after a couple of dangerous crosses were well dealt with by the visiting defence – a deep free-kick from Sam Walker missed everyone and seemed destined to bounce into the top corner before Matt Ingram produced a superb one-handed save to tip it wide.

After a quiet spell, Wycombe ended the half on top, seeing Jombati fire over before Hayes headed over from a Joe Jacobson cross. They began the second period well, with the combative O’Nien charging forward 60 yards after winning possession, but his shot lacked the necessary power to beat the keeper.

Then Thompson was gifted a shooting chance when Nat Brown misjudged a bouncing ball 20 yards out, but the striker had to take it first-time and Griffiths got down well to save.

The best move of the game opened up an excellent opportunity for Sam Wood to double the lead, when Matt Bloomfield slipped in a perfectly-weighted ball for Wood to take into his path, dance past a defender and get a low shot away, only for Griffiths to spread himself and make a fingertip save to keep it 1-0.

And if it wasn’t the keeper denying Wanderers a second, it was the woodwork, as Thompson outpaced his marker to drill an effort towards the bottom corner, only to see it bounce away off the base of the far post.

But the lead was to be doubled on 65 minutes in stunning style, courtesy of the right boot of Portuguese defender Sido Jombati. The right-back had had licence to roam forward all game and found the time and space to smash home an exquisite effort from 20 yards for his first ever goal for the club.

Ainsworth proceeded with the two substitutions he was planning to make anyway at that interval, bringing on Max Kreztschmar and Aaron Amadi-Holloway for Matt Bloomfield and Paul Hayes, but the visitors were grateful to Matt Ingram for preserving their two-goal advantage when he made a superb reflex save to deny Shaun Tuton at the end of a flowing Halifax move.

The Shaymen rallied as they battled for a route back into the game, although their commitment to piling men forward left gaps at the back which Wycombe attempted to exploit.

And the third goal arrived shortly after Matt Ingram had done well to deny Kieran Sadlier, as a break forward paved the route for Max Kretzschmar to finish tidily from just inside the area with eight minutes remaining.

Thompson should have had another when Aaron Amadi-Holloway’s low pass picked him out six yards from goal, but again Griffiths saved superbly to ensure he would come out of his debut appearance with plenty of credit.

The icing on the cake came deep in stoppage time when Amadi-Holloway collected a long pass and controlled neatly before tucking it home, ensuring Wanderers will be in the draw for round two when it's made on Monday night.

Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, McCarthy, Pierre, Bloomfield (Kretzschmar 65), O’Nien, Bean, Wood, Thompson (Ugwu 86), Hayes (Amadi-Holloway 65).

Unused subs: Lynch, Stewart, Sellers, Ugwu.

Halifax: Griffiths, Bolton, McManus, James, O’Brien, N. Brown, Roberts (Sadlier 75), Walker, Burrow, Miller (Tuton 57), Wroe.

Unused subs: Glennon, MacDonald, Hattersley, Bencherif, M. Brown.

Attendance: 1,789 (249 from Wycombe)

Referee: Mr G Salisbury

Advertisement block