Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: AFC Wimbledon 1-1 Wycombe

21 November 2015

A late goal from Ade Azeez denied Wanderers all three points after Jason McCarthy opened the scoring at Kingsmeadow.

After a goalless first half, McCarthy bundled home his first professional goal after the Dons failed to deal with a long free-kick, and Wycombe looked like holding on comfortably as the hosts were unable to muster a shot on target in the second half.

However, Azeez pounced from a half-clearance as the clock struck 90 to secure a point for his side, extending both clubs' respective unbeaten runs.

Gareth Ainsworth was dealt a blow in midweek with the news that Joe Jacobson and Marcus Bean will be sidelined until January through injury, prompting him into two changes which gave Anthony Stewart his first competitive appearance since August while Michael Harriman came into the midfield.

The first effort of the game came on five minutes when Matt Bloomfield fired over with his left foot after Wanderers had done well to press the Dons in possession outside their own box, while Matt Ingram stuck out a boot to prevent Jon Meades’ low cross finding its target after the hosts worked the ball into the box well.

Lyle Taylor drilled into the side netting and Luke O’Nien forced a scrambling save from Ben Wilson as openings began to present themselves at both ends, and Taylor twice came close after his first shot from a corner was blocked back to him and he drilled the volley over the bar.

Then Garry Thompson pressured Wilson into a poor clearance after racing from his goal and O’Nien’s first-time shot was deflected over the bar, but the main talking points shifted from the goalmouths to the middle of the park where a number of scrappy fouls added an edge to the game.

As the match started to settle down again, O’Nien drilled wide of the post after good play from Matt Bloomfield and Sam Wood, before Wood curled a free-kick towards the corner only to see Wilson shuffle across his goal to save it.

There were no changes at the break as Wanderers continued their high-energy approach with the same 11 as the temperatures dropped further, and they started on the front foot although snapshots from Thompson and Hayes were no trouble for the keeper.

But the opening goal came soon after in the scrappiest of fashions, although goalscorer Jason McCarthy won’t care how it crossed the line. A deep free-kick wasn’t cleared by the panicky defence and the Southampton loanee was on hand to bundle it into the net for his first professional goal before sprinting 80 yards to celebrate with the jubilant away fans.

Dons boss Neal Ardley can’t have been happy with his side’s start to the second period and made a triple substitution on the hour-mark, bringing on attackers Tom Elliott and Ade Azeez as well as the creative Callum Kennedy.

The trio added a new dimension with all three getting on the ball more than the men they replaced, but they found themselves repelled time and time again by the outstanding Wycombe backline, with Matt Ingram remaining relatively untroubled.

However, the Dons upped the pressure in the closing stages and grabbed an equaliser moments after a dangerous low ball from Taylor evaded everyone, only for the subsequent cross into the box to cause chaos and Ade Azeez kept a cool head to smash home after Matt Ingram could clear it into his path.

It was a cruel blow to a defence who had stood firm in admirable fashion until then, but a point at an in-form AFC Wimbledon is some consolation for a Wycombe side who are now four games unbeaten.

Wycombe: Ingram, McCarthy, Jombati, Stewart, Pierre, Harriman, O’Nien, Bloomfield, Wood, Hayes (Amadi-Holloway 82), Thompson (Kretzschmar 86).

Unused subs: Richardson, Rowe, Sellers, Banton.

AFC Wimbledon: Wilson, Fuller, Meades, Robinson, Osborne, Francomb, Bulman, Toonga (Kennedy 61), Rigg (Azeez 61), Taylor, Akinfenwa (Elliott 61).

Unused subs: McDonnell, Beere, Sweeney, Kaja.

Referee: Mr P Gibbs

Attendance: 4,482 (749 from Wycombe)

Advertisement block