Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wycombe 2-1 Plymouth

14 May 2015

Wycombe are off to Wembley after a 5-3 aggregate victory over Plymouth Argyle in the play-off semi-finals.

Paul Hayes and Alfie Mawson put the Blues well in the driving seat with two first-half goals, though Ryan Brunt tapped home to give Argyle hope in the second half.

However, Wycombe held on comfortable to spark jubliant scenes at the final whistle as the club look ahead to a first Wembley appearance in 21 years.

Both sides made one change their starting line-ups as Hogan Ephraim replaced the injured Steven Craig for the hosts, while Dominic Blizzard came in for Argyle’s Gethin Jones in midfield.

Blues caused some early pressure with two corners in the opening minute and it was a set piece that broke the deadlock courtesy of Paul Hayes eight minutes. Sam Saunders’ testing delivery was flapped skywards by Luke McCormick and when Alfie Mawson nodded it back into the danger zone, Hayes hooked home his third goal against his former club this season.

The lead was almost stretched when Aaron Holloway out-muscled the defender en route to goal but saw his effort blocked by McCormick, who also did well to deny Hayes before Sam Wood skewed the rebound wide.

Nico Yennaris came close on 25 minutes when Hogan Ephraim clipped a clever cross towards the back post, but the midfielder couldn’t stretch enough to divert his header goalwards.

McCormick was called into action to thrust out a leg and turn Sam Saunders’ poked effort behind, but he was left waving at thin air again when Joe Jacobson’s corner was met by Alfie Mawson with the simplest of headers from a yard out.

Wycombe were so comfortable with their lead that John Sheridan opted to make three changes to his side at the interval, with Saturday’s goalscorers Zak Ansah and Jason Banton coming on with Ryan Brunt.

The substitutions made a difference in terms of improving the visitors’ attacking threat, with Brunt flicking a cross wide before Banton’s swerving cross-shot needed a superb fingertip save by Lynch to deflect it onto the crossbar and out to safety.

The hosts did well to alleviate the pressure with a series of corner before Lynch was again called upon to tip away Bobby Reid’s low daisy-cutter from distance.

But then the game took an interesting twist when Zak Ansah raced through despite looking offside and his low cross was flicked home by Ryan Brunt from six yards out.

Then Ansah’s powerful drive was well saved by Lynch at his near post, but momentum shifted the other way for a period and Hayes curled wide after Pierre laid the ball into his path inside the box.

Argyle pushed again and Brunt clipped wide before Bobby Reid missed the target with a low shot from distance, before Lynch did brilliantly to tip a bouncing inswinging cross over the bar.

Six minutes of added time threatened to spark an Argyle fightback but Wanderers remained professional to the end - now bring on Wembley!

Winning 50/50 Draw Number: 0235
Prize Money: £1,060

Advertisement block