Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Southend 2-2 Wycombe

7 March 2015

Alfie Mawson rescued a point late on as Wanderers came from behind twice in an exciting draw at Roots Hall.

Barry Corr hit a brace which looked likely to move United to within two points of the Chairboys but Mawson headed home Hogan Ephraim's cross to salvage a draw, after Steven Craig had earlier levelled matters by deflecting home Sam Wood's cross-shot.

Gareth Ainsworth made one change to his starting line-up with Aaron Pierre returning from suspension to take his place alongside Alfie Mawson in defence, with Danny Rowe dropping to the bench.

But he was forced into another change on the stroke of kick-off, and it was a significant one with Fred Onyedinma failing to recover from a knock he sustained in Tuesday night’s win at Tranmere, so Steven Craig was called into the attack.

The opening stages saw no chances of any note for either side as they settled into the game, but when the first significant effort arrived, it brought a goal to the home side.

A routine long ball forward was nodded into the path of Joe Pigott by Barry Corr, and although Matt Ingram made a superb save to deny the on-loan Charlton man, Corr was on hand to head home the rebound off the underside of the crossbar.

United could have had a second when Ryan Leonard blazed over the top following a swift counter-attack, while Wanderers looked to be missing the creativity of Onyedinma in attack.

They carved out a decent opening when Sido Jombati surged forwards and slid a fine pass through to Matt Bloomfield, but his low cross was slammed the wrong side of the post by the onrushing Steven Craig.

However, Craig was credited with the equalising goal just before the half-hour mark when Sido Jombati’s deep cross was slammed goalwards by Sam Wood and the ball took a deflection before looping over the keeper and into the far corner.

All of a sudden the visitors were able to get on top of the game and enjoyed some good spells of possession around the United box, without being able to test keeper Ted Smith.

The half ended with both sides locked in an intriguing battle, but it was Wycombe who were looking the more adventurous with the ball, even though Southend retained a threat with the long ball and passes into the channels.

Peter Murphy replaced Matt Bloomfield in the middle of the park at half-time, and Wanderers continued to look bright but were lucky to keep the scores level when Joe Pigott latched onto a loose ball and sprinted goalwards before slipping at the crucial moment with only the keeper to beat.

However, Southend remained in the ascendancy and regained the lead on the hour-mark when Ryan Leonard’s low cross found Corr, who escaped his marker to bag his second of the game, having earlier escaped punishment for catching Jacobson with an arm in an aerial challenge.

It could have been 3-1 when David Worrall then escaped down the left and after Sido Jombati blocked Kevan Hurst’s first effort, the midfielder could only skew the rebound wide.

Wycombe were finding it hard to impose themselves and brought Hogan Ephraim into the mix in place of Sam Saunders, although United had the next chance of note, seeing Myles Weston drag his shot wide of the far post.

But Ephraim was to have a telling contribution in the game, and it was he who dug out a perfect cross with five minutes remaining for Alfie Mawson to thump home a header from six yards out.

Four minutes of stoppage time came and went with no goalmouth action as the two sides settled for a point apiece on a day where only two of the top seven recorded victories.

Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Mawson, Pierre, Saunders (Ephraim), Bloomfield (Murphy), Yennaris, Wood, Hayes, Craig (Holloway).

Unused subs: Richardson, Rowe, Bean.

Southend: Smith, White, Coker, Prosser, Thompson, Worrall, Timlin, Leonard, Hurst (Payne), Corr, Pigott (Weston).

Unused subs: Bentley, Deegan, Barrett, Binnom-Williams, Cassidy.

Referee: Mr T Robinson

Advertisement block