Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Ladies secure a point at Barton

15 January 2015

Wycombe Ladies drew 1-1 with Barton United last weekend, with Lauren Head on target.

Wycombe had lost the home fixture 4-2 back in December but their recent run of form is giving them extra confidence and belief in themselves as they climb up the table. The Blues started the game two places behind Barton with two less points; however with three games in hand, some decent results could prove to be important for their promotion hopes.
The match got off to a high tempo start with the Blues retaining the majority of possession for long periods; however a breakthrough was proving difficult in the early stages. Striker Emily Holmes was keen to continue her electrifying form although the Barton defence stood firm not allowing her a route through on goal.

Jacqui Hanson was running riot on the right flank, weaving past defender after defender although no clinical finish could be provided. Wycombe seemed to be doing everything right but a goal was proving difficult to come by and frustration was setting in.

Much to Wycombe’s amazement, Barton were awarded a penalty after midfielder Erin Licursi was judged to have pulled her opposite number down whilst jumping to defend a corner. What seemed a very generous decision by the referee led to the Blues going 1-0 down which was completely against the run of play.

Wycombe bounced back and continued to pour forward giving the United defence a tough time. Finally Wycombe’s luck changed as centre back Jordan Goddard-Joseph played a long ball forward to Holmes who put fellow striker Lauren Head through on goal to make it 1-1.

Captain Charlotte Bagshaw stepped up to take a penalty which was awarded shortly before half time as Hanson was hacked down in the box, however it was saved and cleared to safety. It really wasn’t looking like Wycombe’s day.

The second half got off to a similar start as the first, and Wycombe’s passing game - which is improving week by week - was wearing the opposition out, and if it wasn’t for some decent saves from the Barton keeper Wycombe could have grabbed a handful of goals.

Noticeable chances fell to Hanson, Licursi and Holmes however the pressure proved too much on the day and the score finished 1-1. The Blues were visibly frustrated to not have won the game after creating so many chances, however Coach Andrew Morten was very pleased with the performance claiming that it could prove to be a very important point come the end of the season.

Next Sunday, Wycombe play bottom of the league Aylesbury Utd at King Georges Field.

Advertisement block