Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 1-1 Dag & Red

22 August 2015

A last gasp Aaron Pierre header rescued a point to help the Chairboys maintain their unbeaten start in League Two this season.

Gareth Ainsworth made one change to the side that beat Morecambe in midweek, with new loan signing Janoi Donacien making his debut, replacing Aaron-Amadi Holloway.

Both sides had good chances within the first few minutes. The visitors nearly made a flying start after just 16 seconds when a cross from the right was almost met by the head of former Wycombe striker Matt McClure. Then Michael Harriman met a Paul Hayes cross on the back post and headed at goal only to be denied by Daggers goalkeeper Liam O'Brien, who tipped the ball over the bar.

The breakthrough also came early on; six minutes into the game and McClure reacted first to a Dagenham clearance and raced through on goal, before calmly slotting home passed former teammate Matt Ingram.

Ainsworth's men couldn't quite find any rhythm in their passing an
d were struggling to find a way through the visitors' defence, and their best chance of the first half was when a Harriman cross from the right came all the way over to Thompson at the back post but he was to be denied on the half-volley by O'Brien at his near post.
Dagenham could have gone into half-time 2-0 ahead had it not been for the linesman to flag for offside. In first half stoppage time, a free-kick from captain Andre Boucaud was met by Ayo Obileye who poked home from close range. The linesman put his flag up late and the ref was looking to give the goal, however after much consultation between the two officials the goal was not given, much to the delight of the Wanderers fans behind the goal in which Obileye scored.

In the second half the hosts attacked more pushing for the equaliser, but Dagenham were doing everything to break up the play as much as possible and picked up 3 yellow cards within the first 20 minutes of the second half with McClure, Chambers and Widdowson all going into the referee's book. Harriman was also booked for a late tackle.

Wycombe continued to put pressure on The Daggers and kept pushing forward with Ainsworth's intentions made clear when he brought on Jason Banton for Donacien. Banton almost had an immediate impact when his effort from just outside the box was inches away from finding the far bottom corner.

The Chairboys' hopes of finding an equaliser improved when McClure's late challenge on Sido Jombati was penalised with a second booking by referee Darren England. Ainsworth's men made the most of this and continued to pile on the pressure, with both Sam Wood and Steve McGinn forcing good saves from O'Brien.

Eventually, their efforts paid off when Aaron Pierre met a Harriman cross and powered a header back across goal into the far bottom corner, five minutes into the six of second half stoppage time. Pierre now has 8 goals in 61 appearances for The Blues.

By Sam Avery

Advertisement block