Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wycombe 0-1 Fulham

11 August 2015

A second-half goal from Alex Kacaniklic was enough to send Championship side Fulham into the second round of the Capital One Cup.

There was very little between the sides as the Blues performed with confidence and resilience to bridge the two-division gap which separated them before kick-off.

The Cottagers made the most of a rare opportunity to exploit space behind the back four as Ben Pringle laid the ball off for Kacaniklic to drill home unmarked from 12 yards.

Late pressure from the hosts in six minutes of injury time didn't quite force extra-time, but Wanderers' biggest home crowd for any cup game eight years will have gone home proud at their team's showing.

The game began at a fast pace, thanks in no short measure to the skiddy surface caused by some pre-match drizzle, and it was generally the visitors who saw more of the ball although Marcus Bean had the first chance, receiving Michael Harriman’s knockdown before sending a shot through to the keeper.

Fulham’s Ross McCormack should have broken the deadlock when he drilled an effort wide from 12 yards, and Wanderers almost sniffed out a chance when Marcus Bettinelli dropped Joe Jacobson’s free-kick at the feet of Danny Rowe, only for the keeper to recover just in time.

Garry Thompson spurned a good chance from Anthony Stewart’s knockdown midway through the half, while Matt Ingram remained untested at the other end, with the only nervy moment coming when McCormack drilled home only to be denied by an offside flag.

The second half began with Wanderers on top, but it took until the 66th minute for the visitors to muster a shot on target, with Ingram comfortably collecting an effort from sub Ashley Richards.

However, the Cottagers’ next chance broke the deadlock and it came from the first opportunity they’d had to get behind the hosts’ defence. Ben Pringle skipped away down the left and picked out Alex Kacaniklic, who had lost his man on the counter-attack and fired home on 70 minutes.

Gareth Ainsworth brought Jason Banton, Ryan Sellers and Paul Hayes off the bench in an effort to force a comeback and the match opened up with the Blues starting to commit men forward.

Hayes saw a goalbound volley blocked during a spell of pinball which followed a deep free-kick into the box, but the visitors did enough to thwart any further chances to secure their place in round two, while the Wanderers will look to continue their superb away form of last season with their first trip of the new campaign to Barnet on Saturday.

Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Rowe, Stewart, Harriman, Bean, McGinn, Wood (Sellers 77), Thompson (Banton 74), Amadi-Holloway (Hayes 83).

Unused subs: Richardson, Bloomfield, O’Nien.

Fulham: Bettinelli, Grimmer (Richards 60), Voser, Hutchinson, Bodurov, Pringle, O’Hara (Mattila 83), Cairney, Kacaniklic, Woodrow (Smith 69), McCormack.

Unused subs: Lonergan, Burn, Dembele, Hyndman.

Attendance:4,012 (1,500 from Fulham)

50/50 Number: 157750
Prize Money: £452.00

Advertisement block