Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Barnet 0-2 Wycombe

15 August 2015

Garry Thompson struck the first two Football League goals at the Hive to give Wanderers a 2-0 victory.

After a goalless first half, Thompson broke the deadlock in spectacular style, finding the top corner from 20 yards, before the visitors had to dig deep when Danny Rowe went off injured, prompting a defensive reshuffle.

Matt Ingram kept the lead intact with a stunning save before Thompson sealed the win with a stoppage-time penalty after he had been tripped inside the area.

The visiting fans were making all the noise at kick-off and watched their side begin with confidence, but it was Barnet who should have broken the deadlock inside six minutes when John Akinde dinked an effort wide of the post after going one-on-one with Matt Ingram.

Curtis Weston was then denied inside the area but a superb diving challenge by Aaron Pierre, and on the counter-attack that followed, Luke O’Nien delivered an enticing low cross which Michael Harriman fired over the bar with only the keeper to beat.

The game settled into a midfield scrap midway through the half as the visiting defence got to grips with the threat of Akinde, although Luke Gambin grew into the game with a couple of dangerous crosses from out wide.

At the other end, Garry Thompson’s sheer presence panicked Barnet into action every time the ball came near him, while Marcus Bean became the controlling influence in the middle in an attempt to calm play down.

The game sprang to life again at the end of the half as Paul Hayes forced two saves from Stack either side of a good chance for Luke Gambin, who smashed the ball against the outside of the post following a corner.

Then Akinde poked wide from an angle after wriggling free in the box but the game ended goalless at half-time with neither side able to find the breakthrough.

That came seven minutes into the second period with Garry Thompson – who had seen a shot blocked inside the box earlier in the half – drilled an unstoppable effort into the top corner from 20 yards. The forward received Joe Jacobson’s pass with his back to goal but turned and unleashed a superb strike, leaving the keeper helpless.

Goalscoring chances to a back seat to a number of strong challenges – three of which came to keeper Matt Ingram – as the game turned a little feisty midway through the half, and an injury to Danny Rowe forced a reshuffled with Sido Jombati moving to centre-back and Harriman to right-back as Jason Banton came on in midfield.

Matt Ingram collected Tom Champion’s low drive after Andy Yiadom misdirected his header from a Barnet corner, and the keeper then needed to be at his superb best to tip away a spectacular bicycle kick before Akinde’s follow-up was scrambled off the line by Aaron Pierre.

Jason Banton teed up Aaron Amadi-Holloway for a shot which Stack got down to save with three minutes remaining, before the points were sealed when Thompson converted a penalty in stoppage time. Sam Wood fed the striker inside the box and an illegal challenge from a Barnet defender gave the 34-year-old the chance to stroke it home coolly past Stack.

Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Rowe (Banton 77), Pierre, Harriman, O’Nien, Bean, Wood, Hayes (Amadi-Holloway 70), Thompson.

Barnet: Stack, Hoyte (Tomlinson 58), Johnson, Dembele, N’Gala, Togwell, Champion, Weston (Gash 58), Yiadom, Gambin (Batt 68), Akinde.

Attendance: 2,562 (902 from Wycombe)

Advertisement block