Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wycombe 2-3 Oxford

3 April 2015

Blues were edged out in a five-goal thriller with Oxford United at Adams Park on Good Friday.

The visitors raced into a two-goal lead thanks to Kemar Roofe and Danny Rose and although Paul Hayes pulled one back soon after the interval, United wrapped up the points through Roofe, although Aaron Holloway fired a late reply before six minutes of stoppage time came and went with no further drama.

Gareth Ainsworth made one change to the side that won 1-0 at Dagenham the previous week, with Fred Onyedinma replacing Matt McClure who missed out altogether due to injury.

Wycombe began brightly – as has been the theme in recent weeks – and Paul Hayes forced a smart near-post save from Ryan Clarke in just the second minute with a header from Sam Wood’s deep cross.

However, Oxford had a sniff of an opener when Kemar Roofe broke forward at pace and took it past Alfie Mawson only for Joe Jacobson to deny him a shooting opportunity with a fine sliding challenge.

But Roofe wasn’t to be denied and it was he who broke the deadlock on 12 minutes when Danny Rose skipped away down the left wing and delivered a teasing cross which was perfect for the midfielder to tuck home past Ingram.

The setback affected the Blues’ ability to knock the ball around with their usual confidence and there was a killer blow midway through the half when United doubled their lead through Danny Rose. Roofe was again involved, beating Jacobson to the ball down the right before cutting it back for Rose to convert from 10 yards.

The hosts desperately pressed for a way back into the game before the break and improved as the half went on, applying pressure to the Oxford box, and Sam Wood came close with a shot which bounced just wide from 20 yards.

Aaron Pierre then should have hit the target before the interval with a header from eight yards following Alfie Mawson’s flick-on, but it was Oxford who could have registered the next goal straight after the break when Danny Hylton shot straight at Ingram moments after breaking clear from the halfway line.

Then hope was restored to the home fans when Paul Hayes halved the deficit on 48 minutes, reacting quickest to Alfie Mawson’s header from Nico Yennaris’ lofted cross into the area.

However they were indebted to Matt Ingram for keeping them in the game when he spread himself to make a superb save at point-blank range from Danny Hylton following Danny Rose’s low cross into the striker’s path.

Oxford remained a threat going forward and restored their two-goal cushion thanks to Roofe’s second goal of the game, converting another low cross from the left as two Wycombe defenders collided in front of Ingram.

It killed any impetus that Wanderers were building up and United looked to be holding on with comfort before Aaron Holloway added a twist in the 90th minute, tapping home from Onyedinma's low cross moments after Holloway had forced a save from Clarke with a stunning strike from distance.

Wycombe: Ingram, Yennaris, Jacobson, Mawson, Pierre, Saunders (Ephraim), Bloomfield (Murphy), Bean, Wood (Holloway), Onyedinma, Hayes.

Unused subs: Lynch, Fletcher, Craig.

Oxford: Clarke, Baldock, Skarz, Mullins, Wright, Ruffels, Roofe (O'Dowda), Collins, Rose, Hylton (Vassell), Hoban.

Unused subs: Ashdown, Whing, Long, Roberts, Dunkley.

Referee: Oliver Langford


Winning 50/50 Draw Number: 145286
Prize Money: £1,055

Advertisement block