Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 0-1 Morecambe

25 April 2015

By Samuel Avery

Morecambe beat Wycombe for the first time in the Football League, as Ainsworth's men slipped into the play-off positions, leaving them needing to rely on other results to gain automatic promotion.

Wycombe made two changes to the side that took a point at AFC Wimbledon last week; suspended Aaron Pierre had to make way for Marcus Bean, who took Nico Yennaris' place at right back, while Yennaris slotted in at centre-back in a rather make-shift Wycombe starting line-up. The other change wasn't made until the warm-up when Sam Saunders pulled out and Max Kretzschmar took his place in midfield.

There were no clear cut chances for either side in the early stages of the game, and the only real chance came when captain Paul Hayes set up Peter Murphy just inside the box who dragged his shot wide.

Wycombe struggled to get their passing game going at times, but a slick pass enabled Hayes to go through on goal, however the opposition goalkeeper Andreas Arestidou read the danger well and was able to clear before Hayes could get a shot away.

The Chairboys started the second half the better side, and Alfie Mawson would have had them in front had his headed effort not come back off the bar.

Matt Ingram was called into action ten minutes into the second half when Shrimpers skipper Mark Hughes had a free header at the back post from a corner.  The away side were growing in confidence and it very soon became the Ingram show as he made three glorious saves to deny Morecambe taking the lead.  Firstly, a Jamie Devitt cross was flicked on by Alex Kenyon but Ingram pulled off a phenomenal one handed stop, diving to his far post to push it away for a corner.  The Blues goalkeeper pulled off another two unbelievable saves, denying the heads of Padraig Amond and Kevin Ellison, tipping both over the bar.

The home side were looking rather shaky at the back during the final stages, which is understandable considering three of the back four came into the side originally as midfielders.  All but Alfie Mawson had played in midfield for the majority of the season.

One more Wycombe chance fell for Mawson ten minutes from time, after stooping down to head the ball goalwards, he was unable to apply the power needed and was deprived of a goal also.

Wycombe paid the price for their missed opportunities in the 86th minute when an Ellison ball found substitute Paul Mullin, and the 20 year-old was able to score a header from the edge of the six yard box underneath Matt Ingram, whilst The Chairboys offside appeal was waved away by the assistant referee.

After falling behind, a tired Wycombe side tried pressing for an equaliser, but to no avail.

Aaron Wildig had a good chance to make it two after a pull back by Devitt, but he couldn't keep his shot down.  In the final minutes of the game, goalkeeper Matt Ingram came up for Wycombe's final throw of the dice.  What a fairy tale ending that would have been for the man of the match, had he have scored the equaliser!

So the Blues came away with nothing from a game in which they battled hard, however it really has been a truly amazing season for Ainsworth's men.

Advertisement block