Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wycombe 0-1 Coventry

2 September 2014

A smash and grab raid by Coventry City saw the League 1 side progress to the second round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

Wanderers bossed the first half at Adams Park but were unable to make their superiority count, and were hit by a sucker punch when Josh McQuoid slammed home Danny Pugh’s cross on the counter attack midway through the second half.

Twelve of the 22 players on the pitch hadn’t started the two teams’ respective matches on Saturday, as both managers elected to make changes in the name of squad rotation.

It was the home side who settled the better of the two, with Max Kretzschmar seeing an early poked effort saved by the keeper after neat interplay from Matt McClure and Danny Rowe.

McClure had a chance himself on 15 minutes, receiving a pass from Aaron Holloway and bending his shot wide of the far post with his left foot.

It took 29 minutes for City’s first opportunity to arrive, and it almost broke the deadlock as Danny Swanson burst clear on the counter-attack and poked goalwards, only for Matt Ingram to make a block to slow down the ball’s progress and allow Aaron Pierre to hook it clear from the goal-line.

The action quickly swung back to the other end where Wanderers had two chances in a minute, first seeing Matt Bloomfield’s low drive saved by the keeper before McClure fired wide from the edge of the box after a lay-off from Holloway.

Opportunities kept coming, and Holloway was involved again as he chested down Max Kreztschmar’s cross only for Lewis to fire a difficult bouncing ball over the bar.

Coventry came close through Josh McQuoid when he cut in from the left and swung an effort against the crossbar, before McClure shot into the side-netting and Lewis hit one wide before the break.

Goalscoring chances were harder to come by following the interval, and City scored with probably the first real opening either side had had in the second period.

While Wanderers were temporarily down to ten men due to a head injury suffered by Matt Bloomfield, Coventry ventured forwards and Danny Pugh fizzed an inch-perfect cross for Josh McQuoid to hammer home from close range.

Wycombe pushed for an equaliser and saw Stuart Lewis make contact with a ball from the right, only to see it bounce wide, and then Aaron Pierre came even closer with a towering header which smashed against the crossbar and bounced to safety.

Time was running out, and a goalbound header from Sido Jombati was blocked following a free-kick before the Blues were unable to break down a stubborn visiting defence in the five minutes of stoppage time.

Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Mawson, Pierre, Bloomfield, Lewis, Rowe, Kretzschmar, Holloway (Cowan-Hall 64), McClure (Craig 62).

Subs: Richardson, Wood, Walker.

Coventry: Burge, Willis, Clarke, Finch, Pugh, Phillips, Thomas, Daniels, Swanson, Coulibaly (Spence 81), McQuoid (Maddison 68).

Subs: Allsop, Haynes, Lawton.

Ref: Mr M Russell.

Attendance: 1,685 (520 from Coventry).

Winning 50/50 Number: 153479
Prize Money: £258.00

Advertisement block